Is it safe to run my TJ with new soft top through car wash?

tennant

TJ Enthusiast
Just bought and put on new best top twill soft top.

is it safe to run jeep with new soft top through car wash? (have some salt residue i want to clean off)

any recommendations because it’s winter and i cannot clean this at home id have to bring it to a car wash.

I've always been very hesitant to run my Jeep through an automatic car wash for 2 reasons: antennas and the soft top windows getting scratched. Just how I feel about that. I'm sure there are some that might be fine but I just picture those twirly grit filled tornados touching the plastic and I cringe.

Better thing to do would be to go to a self-service spray type place. That way you could hit it with higher pressure water on the top and still have the option to wash the body if needed.

Thats definitely my go-to place after a beach baja where i'm getting saltwater all over my Jeep.

I agree. Too many issues with regular cars in a car wash, much less a rag top with antennas, mirrors, tires, winches, etc. bolted on the outside. And it's not like an automatic car wash is going to rinse the suspension/frame, etc. I feel like I'm way more careful about doing that in the self service car wash.

Reactions: Halfstock
When running my soft top, I frequently use my pressure washer on the jeep. I'm careful around the zippers, but never have had a problem.

Like @jeepins noted, I too have never used the automatic car wash on my soft top! For the same concerns.

What about the “touchless” automatic car washes, the ones without the brushes twirling around. This should be ok, no?

What about the “touchless” automatic car washes, the ones without the brushes twirling around. This should be ok, no?
High pressure jets aimed at your top, seals, windows, etc. Seems like it could be a problem, but I've never done it. Plus they leave ghost images of the mud & dirt behind, peel up any loose paint or powdercoat, and still are not focusing on the underneath of the Jeep at all

The "touchless" wash near me doesn't have anything hanging from it so its really touchless, but I only use it when I have the hard top on. Hasn't caused any problems yet. I'll use the do it yourself booth or just wash it by had when I have the soft top on

The "touchless" wash near me doesn't have anything hanging from it so its really touchless, but I only use it when I have the hard top on. Hasn't caused any problems yet. I'll use the do it yourself booth or just wash it by had when I have the soft top on
Last time I was going to take the wife’s ride through the touchless... the car in front of me was about half way through the wash when the belt broke on the arm. The arm came across the back of the car as it should have and then moved forward and slammed into the back of the car three times before it shut down. It was pretty fun to watch. I was just glad it didn’t break while I was in there.

I was with a high school friend back in the day and he was annoyingly proud of the car his parents gave him and liked to rub it in since I didn't have my own car at the time. One day he wants to drive it through an automatic car wash after filling up with gas and i was with him. We pull in and first thing is the big whirly mop tears off his antenna. I started laughing and it got even funnier (to me) because we were stuck in there until the end and at least 4 or 5 times that antenna came back and was whipped across the front, sides, hood, trunk of the car. Man I was crying and everytime we heard it hit he'd start cussing. Hell i'm laughing my ass of just typing this recollection.

Reactions: Tomcat
I've heard the touchless has so much pressure it will spray micro holes into your soft top. Seems I just read that on here someplace.

I only go to a true hand wash. It goes thru a wash but all it does is spray water and foam on the car. Then guys wash it by hand. They also do the inside and the windows, doors etc. etc. $7 on a wednesday.

Or I go to the self serve spray wash and wash it myself.

Just bought and put on new best top twill soft top.

is it safe to run jeep with new soft top through car wash? (have some salt residue i want to clean off)

any recommendations because it’s winter and i cannot clean this at home id have to bring it to a car wash.
NO, oh Hell NO. I just wanted to knock off the road film at our local "high end" car wash and the brand new back and side replacement windows I just put on this past summer now have spider web scratches all running in the same direction from one trip through! I NEVER use an auto car wash, but have paid the price now.
Not a huge loss because I was planning on putting on a new twill top this summer anyways, but I learned a valuable lesson.
Call an individual that does mobile car washing.

I ran water to a sink in my garage. I wish I'd have been there before they poured the concrete, so I could have added a drain in the floor like my neighbor. I hook a hose up to
a separate cold water tap at
the sink and use my electric power sprayer when the temps are above freezing. I can get hot soapy water in a bucket from the sink.

If it's below freezing for weeks on end, I'll wash off the salt in the garage and let it drain out of the garage into the driveway. That way the city salts my driveway for me. My garage is insulated and doesn't get below 40 F until we get a week of below 0 F temps. Then I heat it with an electric heater.

I haven't used a car wash in decades. Last weekend, I washed 3 cars in the time I would have spent in line waiting for one. Everyone goes to the automatic carwash here if it gets above freezing and there is no snow in the forecast. The line might be 10-15 cars deep at a gas station car wash.

I run a soft top year round also. I usually just pressure wash it myself, but in the dead of winter if my TJ gets any salt on it I bring it to the touchless wash right away. You will find out if you have any leaks that's for sure, but it hasn't damaged anything. Make sure you open your tailgate when you get out and dry the floor in case any water gets in so it doesnt freeze shut, water seams to blast right through the tailgate seal on my 2006.

I guess I have been lucky the past 23 years, never a problem when I have run my TJ through automatic car washes. I remove my antennas but that's it.

My paint job isn't that great. And I've wanted to go to a normal carwash with my Jeep. But I'm always concerned that the brushes will latch onto something and tear it off. Like a side mirror or a tail light. Or part of my soft top. Are my fears unfounded?

It would be so much easier if I could go to the local carwash instead of the hand wash do it yourself place. And the nice all hand wash place I mention above is kind of far from me now. It's worth it to have the carpets done. But just to drive all the way there for a wash and vacuuming out and wipe down. Kind of a hassle.

I'd think the strips of fabric kind of washes would be better than the ones with rope like things on the brushes.

My paint job isn't that great. And I've wanted to go to a normal carwash with my Jeep. But I'm always concerned that the brushes will latch onto something and tear it off. Like a side mirror or a tail light. Or part of my soft top. Are my fears unfounded?
Yep, our Wranglers are far tougher than you're giving them credit for. I remove my antennas but that's it.