Is it safe to take my recently repaired frame off-roading?

Prolabywill

Hi all! I’m a Jeep newb, recently purchased a 2000 sport. My question is, would it be safe to take my recently frame repaired jeep on light-ish trails? The drivers side rear and side frame were repaired professionally and I just want to know if welded frame repair makes it less strong. Thanks!

Welcome! I would say no problem at all. Assuming the repair was done correctly, of course. After all, frames are welded together initially.

• USA Proud
Reactions: WSS
Enjoy your TJ!

How was the frame repaired? New pieces of frame installed or was the existing frame repaired and plated? Or any other way. Just curious.

If it was safe T caps and professionally welded it is just as strong (if not stronger) than the factory frame

Welcome to the forum. since you've come here with a question about the TJ you recently purchased you're in the right place.

If your frame has been done "correctly" you'll have no problem with the jeep on light-ish trails, or any trails unless you try some monster truck action.

Of course there could be some debate on what exactly "correctly" and "monster truck action" may be so we need pictures!

Welcome Prolabywill ! You will like this place!
You frame repair if done correctly , AND not a rust bucket should be fine.This thread is worthless without pics
See you around!

Welcome to the forum. since you've come here with a question about the TJ you recently purchased you're in the right place.

If your frame has been done "correctly" you'll have no problem with the jeep on light-ish trails, or any trails unless you try some monster truck action.

Of course there could be some debate on what exactly "correctly" and "monster truck action" may be so we need pictures!
Gotcha thanks. I’m going to post photos of the frame in a minute

Welcome Prolabywill ! You will like this place!
You frame repair if done correctly , AND not a rust bucket should be fine.This thread is worthless without pics
See you around!
Thx!

ok I will post now thx!

Here are pics of the frame repair. It’s also been under coated and fluid filled.

E7CC7F7F-5E87-4985-AA53-E3A7CA03653D.jpeg

C384150A-7DEB-4098-B0C9-4552F393FEE0.jpeg

8ABCEF0D-2B52-4C46-8DFD-1BE5F88CD867.jpeg

F450987A-16DD-41DC-9F26-2F47E7D869AA.jpeg

179414EE-B6C5-42A4-89D1-63408AEB8C74.jpeg

336D5D2E-7287-4248-B959-B3710181F98F.jpeg

It is a fix for sure. Two things that pop up to me:

1) should have cut the mounts and plated under them instead of going in and out of them
2) Slots in the strong points of the fishplate for plug welding, that alone would almost double the strength of the repair.

The plug welds are still possible if you felt the repair is not enough. The repair as it is will likely be plenty for the rest of it's working life, but just in case you wanted to go a step further.

Find the spots with the least damage to the inner frame, hole saw just the repair plate using 3/4", 1" max size holes. Then plug weld them.

JMHO, the pics show solid welds, so you are probably good to go.

I am sure it is done properly. I said as much. the cutouts that go around the body mounts are there for ease of install, not strength. The cutouts for the body mounts is were the weak point is. Not saying it is going to fail or that the safety cap design is not clever.

All good, I post the info for those who have not done a repair yet. Asking for a critique after the fact is a tough one. The job is already done or far enough to make corrections hard or impossible.

Many times I wish someone had spoke up and mentioned a easier or better way an hour or two earlier. LOL

Reactions: bromel

1) should have cut the mounts and plated under them instead of going in and out of them
2) Slots in the strong points of the fishplate for plug welding, that alone would almost double the strength of the repair.

The plug welds are still possible if you felt the repair is not enough. The repair as it is will likely be plenty for the rest of it's working life, but just in case you wanted to go a step further.

Find the spots with the least damage to the inner frame, hole saw just the repair plate using 3/4", 1" max size holes. Then plug weld them.

Thx!

Thx for the tips!

Like the others have stated it looks solid from the pictures. If it were me, I would spend some time checking over the parts that were not repaired to make sure they are in good condition. If you are going to take your jeep on trails expect little tings to pop up that you were not aware of. Also a good idea to take someone with you if you can when you are on the trail.

Reactions: WSS