Is it worth it or even possible to install JK suspension on a TJ?

conlopez

I have a suspension from a 2016 Unlimited Rubicon. Is it worth it or even possible to install the shocks and springs on a 2005 Rubicon? I currently have what I assume are the stock springs with spacers and some crappy worn out Rough Country shocks that the previous owner installed. This would be temporary until I can afford a lift.
20201128_145708.jpg20201128_145719.jpg20201128_145740.jpg20201128_145748.jpg20201128_145753.jpg

It's not worth it. Coils are different lengths and diameters. Shocks have different lengths and mounting styles.

People have done that to get a small lift. There are different spring heights depending on the JK build. Tow package and Rubicons have taller springs. JK people do it if they find taller springs.

I'd say not worth the hassle. It would be better to buy the correct springs and shocks. JK's weigh more.

I know for sure that front springs are freely interchangeable between tj’s and jk’s. Forget about spring rates—the range of spring rates available for both platforms are not different enough to make any appreciable difference in ride quality. What matters is the ride height you need for your own application. You should put the front springs in to see if there is any lift gained. I’m not sure about the rears. Maybe someone else will chime in..

I know for sure that front springs are freely interchangeable between tj’s and jk’s. Forget about spring rates—the range of spring rates available for both platforms are not different enough to make any appreciable difference in ride quality. What matters is the ride height you need for your own application. You should put the front springs in to see if there is any lift gained. I’m not sure about the rears. Maybe someone else will chime in..

Just depends on which springs he got. JKU Rubi and / or tow package have the slightly taller springs. I used to have a 2012 Sport JKU with the tow package. I was able to sell my springs pretty quickly. That was from another JK owner though.