Is it worth it to put more money into my Jeep

RiJeeper

I have a 2000 jeep tj sport with peeling/chipping rhino liner the previous owner rolled on, I have rot on the floor support on one side, my transmission grinds when I shift just about every gear, I’m on stock axles that have t been regeared, and I had a safe t cap frame rails put in, those are all of the cons, the pros I have nice wheels and 35inch tires, engine is running great, body isn’t all that bad, frame is good for the most part, I have a soft top, hard top, and a net top, my interior is nice, I fixed the floor pan, I have poison spyder highline fenders, I plan on doing a 3-3.5 inch lift, and I already have 600$ in adjustable control arms I just bought, and also got a steering shaft, I have about 11000$ into it including buying it is it worth it for me to put more money into it? I really like the Jeep but idk if it’s worth putting more money into it?

Reactions: Ronsrods
Chris pretty much summed it up. With what I'm going to do to mine, I will never be able to sell it for what will be spent. That's not why I bought it though. I bought it to rebuild and it will be my 'retirement' jeep, lol. I still have 18 years, so who knows!

Tim

Worth it is kind of subjective. Do you see yourself driving and loving the Jeep for years to come? If so, the money will be well worth it. However, if this is only a toy and you don't plan on keeping it forever, it's probably not. You just have to think about your future with the Jeep.

Last edited:
I would't consider rot on the floor support on one side to be a huge problem. As for the transmission grinding, have you tried double clutching? It may help for quite a while. And if the safe t cap frame rails were done correctly I'd move those from the cons list to the pros list and maybe whoever did it could help with the rusty floor support.

Reactions: RiJeeper
Better question is...... after all the replacement of metal/frame parts. How much longer do you think it is going to last before it gets bad again.
Sounds like you have already had to do major repairs to the frame and tub.

I would't consider rot on the floor support on one side to be a huge problem. As for the transmission grinding, have you tried double clutching? It may help for quite a while. And if the safe t cap frame rails were done correctly I'd move those from the cons list to the pros list and maybe whoever did it could help with the rusty floor support.

+1. If done correctly, Safe T Caps are absolutely a positive. The rust is so bad where I am in that I'm immediately skeptical of any TJ *without* Safe T Caps unless they came from the South or West. Done correctly, they'll last indefinitely.

As for the transmission, you can swap in a brand-new AX15 for about $1500 if you do the work yourself. Otherwise, baby that NV3550 for as long as possible until it craps out. You'll be surprised how long it goes. Have you tried refilling with Redline MTL fluid?

+1. If done correctly, Safe T Caps are absolutely a positive. The rust is so bad where I am in that I'm immediately skeptical of any TJ *without* Safe T Caps unless they came from the South or West. Done correctly, they'll last indefinitely.

As for the transmission, you can swap in a brand-new AX15 for about $1500 if you do the work yourself. Otherwise, baby that NV3550 for as long as possible until it craps out. You'll be surprised how long it goes. Have you tried refilling with Redline MTL fluid?
I have tryied the fluid change it did nothing, but I think I’m going to take the transmission out and send it to this transmission guy that will rebuild it. But in the meantime I am just babying it

Yeah but the frame rails look like there getting some rust/surface rust idk if that’s normal or if I should just get it film fluid done

Is there some place you need to go that requires a lift. if the picture in your profile is the jeep, it looks ready enough.
Isn't the tranny and and floor support more important.
Yeah it has a 2.5 inch lift but it’s starting to sag it looks a lot lower since I put the highline fenders on, Mabey I should just go with 2.5 inch coils