Is it worth it?

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I found a TJ for $2800, it’s an SE with no engine or tranny, soft top, no doors. Everything else looks good. Just need a 5.3, tranny, and can build from there. What do you guys think?

I could probably get the seller down to $2200

Hard to say for me. If I could find that in an LJ version I’d say absolutely! Haha
That’s actually a good point. That’s would make it an easy decision.

Let’s say 2500 for the Jeep.
1200 for engine and tranny
2500 for the lift
3500 for some Rubicon axles
1000 to regear
2000 other
I already have some 35’s and wheels with proper BS.

That’s $12,700 all in. Not bad for a trail rig on 35’s

2500 for the lift
1000 to regear
2000 other

Buddy of mine just picked up a “mint” (high miles, no rust but it’s got a little wear and tear) LJ with a “locked up motor” for 1500. He had it running in 2 hours. He also won’t sell it to me lol. I’d love the have a platform like that to start with.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
if you have the time, drive and desire ..............do it.
no drive train, is good enough reason to add a v8.

Ask yourself the question, "Am I buying this because it's a good deal or buying it because I need a platform to build on"? Also, you already have a TJ, so do you really want/need another? I went through a similar thing recently, where I bought a TJ cheap, spent a bunch of money on it, and planned to wheel it. In the end I didn't use it that much and it sat around. Ultimately, I ended up selling it and staying focused on my LJ. As much as I like the TJ/LJ platform, having one is enough for me. Both time and money are limiting factors, with time being the most precious.

That said, if you're really needing one to build, if it's a rust free body and frame, minus the doors and top, I'd say no more than $1800. On the plus side, given the 4 cyl, you're already geared better.

That’s a lot of money and that’s not even counting all the labor you will put into it. With you already having a tj I would just save the money for retirement or a different toy at this point. 12000 and you are starting to get into used rzr territory, or a boat.

Reactions: Rubisohoe and JMT

2500 for the lift
1000 to regear
2000 other

That kind of deal is something I'm seeking for my son and I to build. I have a barn full of parts seeking a tub and frame for a home.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Sounds like fun @JMT For the "Other", I would honestly budget 5K extra LOL. Wish I had more space for a larger ongoing project like this, but I have 3 parking spots in the garage and they are all full :(.

@T_Hase89 had a nice point...if it was an LJ, that would be totally awesome!

I found a TJ for $2800, it’s an SE with no engine or tranny, soft top, no doors. Everything else looks good. Just need a 5.3, tranny, and can build from there. What do you guys think?

I could probably get the seller down to $2200
This is how I know we live in the same area. I saw the same one... had the same thought. haha

• Haha
It’s very tempting. I’ve got 5 kids and one just turned 16, the twin boys are 14, I am getting a 91 XJ next month. One idea was to fix up the XJ and flip it, another was to move the engine from the XJ into a TJ like this one, another was to just stick with the XJ, which is probably the smartest idea. I don’t really have room for a project, but I do need more Jeep’s for the kids. Or is this just a ploy to get more Jeeps?!😜 I would like to share my project with all my great friends here @Goatman!

2500 for the lift
1000 to regear
2000 other

For similar amount, you can do junkyard 1 ton axles with 40s. That's assuming you do all the work including regear.

2500 for the lift
1000 to regear
2000 other

And you'll end up with a reliable rig, no questions about what the op did.
No money wasted, no parts to scrap.
I'd buy it.