Is it worth keeping it or should I find another one?

Zackemcor

Hello all jeep enthusiasts,

As i mentioned on my other post, picked up a 2001 TJ Sahara 196k miles, automatic(32RH), in Black a few months ago for $2,800 before any tags and fees(DMV). To be honest, i love the interior color and exterior color with tan soft top.

The jeep has rust. need to cut out center sections and weld new ones, re-work rear control arms(It was fixed at one point) and replace/weld passenger side torque box panel. all the new work will be undercoated. A reputable shop is charging $1,800(parts and labor) which i think its reasonable.

Jeep also has some transmission leaks per our other post. Also experience "morning sickness" in a cold start.

Now my questions: Should I sell it and breakeven(Its sad to do so)? Or is it worth it to keep and spend apex $3,000 -$4,000 to make it right?

Zac

Can you post some pics of the frame, just so we know what we're dealing with? That quote from the shop seems very reasonable. Might make sense to weld the full-length caps that include the rear trailing arm mounts, especially if they weren't 100% fixed the first time around.

Here are some pics of the rust and the quote for the rust repair.
I can take and upload better pictures this weekend.

Cost.PNG

IMG_6227.jpg
IMG_6226.jpg
IMG_6225.jpg

Can you confirm what brand frame sections he is going to use? The two primary brands are Safe T Cap and Pocono. Based on the prices he quoted, he's definitely not using Safe T Caps; they're much more expensive. Pocono is a fine, affordable alternative, but just make sure he isn't welding in random patches with scrap metal. Basically, you want him using this:

https://poconometalcraft.com/collec...te-center-frame-repair-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj

Reactions: harbiison
That's probably OK, but if I were you I'd pay a little more and get the Pocono. I have heard that the cheap eBay brands might be a little less exact with the fit.

Reactions: harbiison
One thing you can be sure of...once they start cutting, more will be found that needs to be addressed. Factor the risk of that into your decision.

Reactions: JMT and billiebob
Question really is, can you find another Jeep that you'd like more for around the total amount you are going to put into it. To me, it doesn't seem like it given the values as of late.

Rust is the gift that keeps on giving. If you are still going to drive it in NY winters a fix will be incredibly short lived before what you weld to rusts out.

Rather than $4K "fixing" it.... spend money on a Nevada, California, Arizona Jeep shopping vacation and drive something rust free home.

If you have space kee[ the old one for parts. I bought another low mile TJR last year, so far I've stolen the battery, shocks, front drive shaft, roof which had my racks mounted, winch etc, light bar, a-pillar lights.... keeping it has saved me a few thousand $$$ already.

Plus it was well maintained, has a remanufactured engine, brakes are almost new, rad is 3 years old, heater core 2 years old...... plus I got to keep my straight shaft shifter..... not to mention wheels and tires.

s-l300.jpg

ps, your Jeep has already had the frame rust repaired, there is a point of no return, I think yer there

Rust is the gift that keeps on giving. If you are still going to drive it in NY winters a fix will be incredibly short lived before what you weld to rusts out.

Rather than $4K "fixing" it.... spend money on a Nevada, California, Arizona Jeep shopping vacation and drive something rust free home.

If you have space kee[ the old one for parts. I bought another low mile TJR last year, so far I've stolen the battery, shocks, front drive shaft, roof which had my racks mounted, winch etc, light bar, a-pillar lights.... keeping it has saved me a few thousand $$$ already.

Plus it was well maintained, has a remanufactured engine, brakes are almost new, rad is 3 years old, heater core 2 years old...... plus I got to keep my straight shaft shifter..... not to mention wheels and tires.

View attachment 287152

ps, your Jeep has already had the frame rust repaired, there is a point of no return, I think yer there

Thanks for your advice.
I’m driving it to a shop tomorrow and have it on a lift. I will provide better pictures afterward.
I definitely see your point. The TJ won’t be driven in winter time and I do plan on keeping in the garage for winter.

I have some minor rust issues gas tank cross member and some rust where the roll bar mounts to the floor, I found new frames for about 4k and used frames from about 600 on up. My cross member piece was replaceable. If I were you Id start looking for a frame asap new/used strip it and sandblast it to bare metal clean it and apply some DTM primer. (Direct To Metal) Epoxy primer has can trap moisture between the frame and coat of primer and your right back to where you started from. Lots of work can be done in the drive way ( mines in boat storage right now getting prepped
IMG_4295 (1).JPG

i was at the same spot not too long ago with the whole frame rust. i payed my neighbor who is a hell of a welder $500 to install my pocono caps and the jeep looks and drives beautiful. but with the mileage and other issues i think searching around wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I decided to go both routes. My TJ I'm gonna replace but as for my LJ it will have to be a body off frame restoration. I simply can't find clean low mileage LJs to begin with that aren't 25+ grand.

I want to go with a TDK frame swap actually but it would cost a boatload in labor.

Can you answer this? That labor rate is awesome and we would like to know which shop you are using.

Thanks
Hey, sorry for the late reply.
I’m going try out the shop next Saturday. The work has been scheduled.
I will update you with contact after the fix if any good.

The Jeep is here to stay.

I will follow up once once the shop is done.

Zac