Is it worth putting a 99 or newer intake manifold on my 98?

98 Black Bart

Supporting Member
Installed a cheap set of headers on the '98 4.0. removed the cat and straight piped to a cherry bomb muffler. apparently i didn't get clean enough at the gasket because i have a small leak that is annoying the heck outta me. I plan on taking it apart over the weekend and wanted input on is it worth putting a 99 or later intake on. I've read they perform better with their visibly smoother direction of flow. I found one at the pull a part for $40. Does anyone have anything to advise? leaning towards doing it, but thought i'd throw it out to get some feedback.

When I used to own an XJ a long time ago, this used to be something people discussed all the time on the XJ forums. However, I did the research and came to find that their were no real gains to be had, it was all just a bunch of hype. Supposedly the reason they changed the intake manifold if I remember correctly, is because they changed the cylinder head intake ports slightly on the later models, and the newer style intake manifold runners were a result of that.

There is no power to be gained, and this can be seen from looking at the hp numbers on a 98 TJ vs a 2001 for instance.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong with actual before-and-after dynos, but the research I did led me to the conclusion that there was nothing to be gained.