Is mounting a shovel under the hood an acceptable idea?

ballpark

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Curious if people think I am 'not very smart' for doing this? Yes, it does get hot... Yes, the hood closes just fine..
I am going jeeping on Drummond Island alone next week. Just taking precautions...

IMG_5018.JPEG

IMG_5019.JPEG

IMG_5020.JPEG

I did that once to both of my high school kids TJs way back up north.
Then I removed it after winter, never used it and never put it back.

Last edited:
Looks like a good use of space.

Just for reference, the spontaneous combustion temperature of wood is around 600 degrees.

Loved my trip to Drummond Island last year, have fun.

IMG_4176.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like a good use of space.

Just for reference, the spontaneous combustion temperature of wood is around 600 degrees.

Loved my trip to Drummond Island last year, have fun.

View attachment 169997
I think I’m still washing the mud off from my trip last year.

I don’t see why you can’t mount it there. Although I recently picked up one of those tacticool shovels that comes in a bag with all the handle extensions, it easily would fit under the seat or in the back.

I am packing as efficiently as I can. Back in the day when i used to drive thru anything, often a shovel would have got me out actually several times, even without a winch. I will have the family with me and I am wheeling alone (i know..) Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on it, and probably use a few more zip ties.

Reactions: matkal
Drummond is all rock (event under dirt/mud) and I can't think of an area there that a shovel would help. Depending on your tire size and if you have lockers, a winch could help in the middle west area where the deep water can be.

Have fun! There's nice camping at the park too! Further from the bar but way nicer and cheaper than the camp sites they offer.

Reactions: ballpark
I wouldn't either. It's not a very easy spot to access depending on how you are stuck.
At the very least you'd want an easier way to secure it. Zip ties are an easy way to secure stuff, but only really stuff you want to stay in place indefinitely. How annoying would it be to have to remove and re-attach the shovel a dozen or more times on a trail?

No, don't do it and I'll tell you why as soon as I get back to my office.
Those rods aren't made to support weight on them that could cause them to repeatedly flex up & down as the Jeep is driven. What can happen, and it happened to me, is the spot welds behind the firewall that hold the nuts that hold the bolts holding the rods can fail from the constant movement caused by the rods flexing. That can start an incessant snapping and popping where the broken weld is. It drove me crazy until I finally figured it out and was able to reweld it through the front to finally stop the snapping and popping.

I wouldn't simply attached it to those support rods because of how the body on frame construction flexes. You've zip-tied it and I'm not sure they would hold and the moment it moves or breaks, might be a bad day. Maybe come up with a hard mount for the underside of the hood?

Those rods aren't made to support weight on them that could cause them to repeatedly flex up & down as the Jeep is driven. What can happen, and it happened to me, is the spot welds behind the firewall that hold the nuts that hold the bolts holding the rods can fail from the constant movement caused by the rods flexing. That can start an incessant snapping and popping where the broken weld is. It drove me crazy until I finally figured it out and was able to reweld it through the front to finally stop the snapping and popping.
Exact same thing happend to me. I was looking for an annoying popping sound until I was staring under the hood one day and leaned on the rod and it made the noise. I followed it up to the firewall and realized the sheetmetal was stressed and cracked right at the bolt.

I believe if you go back and dig up the old threads on JF and earlier where that happened, the fools were all proud of themselves for their cool place to mount their hi lift jacks.

I believe if you go back and dig up the old threads on JF and earlier where that happened, the fools were all proud of themselves for their cool place to mount their hi lift jacks.
I figured out the best place to mount my Hi-Lift jack was in my backyard shed where it has been for 14-15 years. I'll use it the next time I need to pull a post up out of the ground or put up fencing when I buy my cattle ranch.

Reactions: Apparition
The only use I've ever found for a hi-lift is for stretching wires on a fenceline. Or once when we needed an anchor for a rowboat.

• Haha
Reactions: VI_TJ