Is my 99 TJ lifted?

mjr

Hi All,

New to the TJ world, just purchased a 99 Sport. I am trying to figure out if it has a lift on it. I don't think so but there is a spacer on the transmission skid plate. I also think the geometry of the drive shaft doesn't look right. I attached some pics, any info will be appreciated.

KIMG0361.JPG

KIMG0362.JPG

KIMG0363.JPG

KIMG0364.JPG

KIMG0369.JPG

Reactions: Steel City 06
You are correct that it is lifted and had a TC plate drop. The spacers on top of the coil springs are what give your lift, and are probably equal to the lift height you have.

The TC skid is dropped with those spacers to realign the driveline without significant additional expense. The TC skid normally is bolted straight to the frame with no hardware in between.

Reactions: fuse
Also, I don’t see anything extreme about the driveshaft angles yet. Basically both joints should be kept to an angle of 7 degrees or less, and the centerline axis of the transfer case output and the centerline axis of the pinion should be within a couple degrees of parallel for a stock style driveshaft.
DABB2CD1-838F-4244-A050-74D45D9BAE37.gif

Thanks, I was worried because I have a pretty good leak at the rear transfer case, hoping it just needs a new pinion seal.

Anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing the rear end to pull to one side when shifting? I also get periodic clanking-type noises (no rhyme or reason) and the rear end seems to bind up when backing up and turning hard. It's a Dana 35 and manual trans. Does not have limited slip. Going to pull the diff cover this weekend and take a look.

Thanks, I was worried because I have a pretty good leak at the rear transfer case, hoping it just needs a new pinion seal.

Anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing the rear end to pull to one side when shifting? I also get periodic clanking-type noises (no rhyme or reason) and the rear end seems to bind up when backing up and turning hard. It's a Dana 35 and manual trans. Does not have limited slip. Going to pull the diff cover this weekend and take a look.
Be sure to check all of the trackbar and control arm bushings for loose bolts or play. Also check the links for the sway bar and driveshaft U-joints for play.

Sounds like you might have a Detroit locker in the rear which will cause clanking and banging noises. Also a Detroit can cause the Jeep to feel like it’s pulling to one side if alignment isn’t right or tire PSI aren’t equal. I have a Detroit locker as well. You’ll be thankful for it on the trails! Post a pic of the diff when you take the cover off

looks like only a 2" budget lift (spacers instead of taller springs), I would pull the transfer case spacers, you probably don't need them to cancel out vibrations. Maybe go with a 1" body lift and add the 1" extended motor mounts to achieve the same results as the T-case spacers but it's a better way to do it. Your T-case needs to go up to stock height. Can't help you with the rear end issues based on your description. Take pictures when you're in there and post em up, sounds like a "lunchbox locker" may be installed.

Man it looks pretty clean under there , that’s good to see.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Thanks for the advice. After doing a bit of research it does sound like I might have a locker. I'm planning on changing the diff fluid this weekend, will let you know once I open it up. Thanks.

Pulled off the diff cover and it's a locker. Thanks for the advice. Seeing as the Jeep will see mostly onroad use (and I'm up North so driving in snow will be an issue) I am thinking about taking it out and going back to the open diff. Just want to keep it simple and also don't want to spend too much.

Is pulling out the locker and putting the original spider gears back in a DIY job or will I need to take it to a shop? I'm no expert but can generally figure things out.

gears.JPG