Is my brake master cylinder bad?

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
When I put my 2000 tj on the road this spring I had done the brake lines,calipers,pads and rear brake spring kit. I had not replaced the rear pistons.No abs. Everything till now has been great for 5,000 miles. Brake pedal hard . Now as I sit I notice the pedal start to slowly go down. No leaks anywere. probably the master cylinder I suspect. Anyone run into this?

Reactions: ac_
Sounds like it could indeed be your master cylinder, especially if it's just started happening and you're sure you're not losing fluid.

When I put my 2000 tj on the road this spring I had done the brake lines,calipers,pads and rear brake spring kit. I had not replaced the rear pistons.No abs. Everything till now has been great for 5,000 miles. Brake pedal hard . Now as I sit I notice the pedal start to slowly go down. No leaks anywere. probably the master cylinder I suspect. Anyone run into this?
I would also bet on the master cylinder going bad. Mine did this before eventually going out on me. Luckily I was at a car wash (on an incline) waiting to get in the bay before the pedal went straight to the floor. I started rolling backwards. I was able to limp it home. Changed the master cylinder and all was good.

Reactions: KCsTJ

That does sound like a master cylinder as other have said since you have no leaks. It means the pistons aren't holding fluid. Fluid is most likely slipping by. If your brake pedal is hard, but the car is not stopping is most likely the brake booster. That is usually how I tell the difference.

Reactions: b0xcar
Thanks for that. It does not stay hard. It stops fine with good stiff pedal,but as I sit it slowly bleeds off. Pump it a few times and it gets stiff again.
Cheers
Bruce

Reactions: ac_