Is my heater core leaking after 9 months?

Freeman

Supporting Member
I replaced my heater core w/a Mopar unit 5073180AB from Amazon in March. I might have driven the Jeep a couple 100 miles since. Today I noticed coolant dripping from the overflow tube?? at the fire wall.

Anything to check before diving into that mess again?

IMG_20201226_171036736~2.jpg

IMG_20201226_171036736.jpg

Are you certain it's coolant dripping from that tube and not water which is normal?
It's coolant. I noticed a stain on my drive. Saw a drip forming on the lower CA mount. Gave it a little taste, sweet like coolant and red in color like the overflow bottle.

I've already replaced all coolant lines, thermostat, sensor, and water pump in the last two years.

It's coolant. I noticed a stain on my drive. Saw a drip forming on the lower CA mount. Gave it a little taste, sweet like coolant and red in color like the overflow bottle.

I've already replaced all coolant lines, thermostat, sensor, and water pump in the last two years.
I had an OEM one leak the day it was installed.

Are you sure your heater hoses aren't seeping at the heater core. I would check and make sure the clamps are tight.
Did you replace the spring clamps with new ones when doing the job?

Working for GM, I have had the unfortunate displeasure of replacing heater cores, evaporators and condensers, only to have the new part fail right out of the box.

I'm going to dig around today, but I'm pretty sure it's leaking from the drain tube. IIRC, the hose connections were dry. I don't remember if I replaced the clamps or not.

The job is a PIA, & having to pay for the freon to be recovered & charged again is really upsetting. If I delete the a/c, will my defrost function still work properly?