Is my shock shot?

Longhorn84

TJ Enthusiast
Rancho 9000xl, two years old, I know my bump stops are gone in the rear, working on replacing the bumps to the proper ones for my lift. Is this shock toast?

IMG_2194 (1).jpg

A little word of wisdom, you should rotate those tubes 180 degrees to protect the adjusters.
It's a mall crawler at the moment and I've been trying several different numbers to dial in my ride quality. Maybe I'll rotate after I'm satisfied with everything, thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: CodaMan
If it leaks its toast. If it isn't, can you do a bounce test on that corner at both max and min setting. Both should stop bouncing within 2 or 3 cycles. If you can feel the change in settings but both still control the bounce in those 2-3 cycles then the shock is still working properly. If you can't tell the difference between min and max setting, or the shock allows that corner to continue to bounce, then it's time to replace it. Again, ANY fluid leak means the shock has failed.

Reactions: Alex01
If it leaks its toast. If it isn't, can you do a bounce test on that corner at both max and min setting. Both should stop bouncing within 2 or 3 cycles. If you can feel the change in settings but both still control the bounce in those 2-3 cycles then the shock is still working properly. If you can't tell the difference between min and max setting, or the shock allows that corner to continue to bounce, then it's time to replace it. Again, ANY fluid leak means the shock has failed.
I can feel the difference between 1-9 on the bounce test, and it seems to be absorbing the bounce fairly well. I guess I'll get a bit more life out of it before replacing.