Is my soft top fitting right?

Semaj07

Hey all!

I just got myself a 1998 TJ Sahara and I have never been so excited to own something in my life! This is my first post and I have to say, this site is so full of resources and I can't wait to start digging into the Jeep.

My first question to you all though is I have a SIERRA OFF-ROAD soft top that is on my Jeep. It also seems relatively new. However, it doesn't seem to be sitting right. The rear passenger side seems to want to sit lower than the driver side and makes the car seem asymmetrical from the rearview. I have tried everything to get this thing to line up and I just can't seem to figure it out. All the parts of the frame seem to be in their appropriate places and nothing is broken. So do you guys/gals have any ideas lol? I attached a pic of that corner and you can see the bar isn't lining up on the stitching area like the driver side is to make it a nice smooth flat look. Thanks all!
Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 3.33.29 PM.png

In that picture the frame seems pretty well lined up with the top edge of the rear window. Maybe it's just the picture.

If you measure up from the body to the frame is it the same on both sides? If so, maybe that top is slightly defective, and/or a couple days in the sun would help, or a couple days in the sun with an electric or portable heater added.

If the frame doesn't measure the same on both sides, you need to measure and compare both sides of the frame and the location of any brackets to see what's not quite right. Even then it could still be the top itself.

Looks like something is going on in that right corner. Is the strapping wrapped around the bow or the top attachment point wonked (industry term) in that corner?

I don’t know, seems pretty normal to me other than maybe a few wrinkles, which admittedly I’ve seen before.

I have a Sierra Offroad top as well and it looks pretty similar. Mine is a little less wrinkled but I think overall it's fine, just cosmetically may not be what you want.

Show us a pic of the front of the top? How did you attach the screwed down plastic strip? You have to make sure it's doubled over and not flat. Hard to explain. But if you show us a pic of the front. I can tell if you it's put on right.

I know this. Because I did mine wrong. And it left quite a bit of slack in the rest of the top. Finally a few weeks ago. I rectified the situation. Took the top off (windows out), turned the soft top upside down, and then drilled the plastic strip in place. If you do it this way it takes up at least another inch of play in the rest of the top. You'll be able to tell because the front seam in the top will not be flush with the windshield frame.

It does look a little loose in the back window area. I know yours is not a Bestop. But mine isn't either. It's a cheap Rampage that I got on sale for $182. But it's alot tighter than that.

Try unsnaping the rear bow and let it sort of float in that seam pocket above the rear window. See if that helps. And as previously stated measure all the frame positions side to side. If anything is off there it will prevent the top from fitting properly.