Is my transfer case on the way out or just the linkage?

Yoda

TJ Enthusiast
2003 TJ, NP231, auto trans. 175k miles and all stock. Been a commuter its whole life, not much offroad.

Got a new problem, and I'm pretty sure its my transfer case. When I take off from a stop or when I take right turns of any radius I hear a ratcheting sound near the transfer case lever. It seems to be worse when its cold and when everything is fully warmed up it sometimes goes away or gets a bit better. Started a couple months ago and is getting louder and louder.

If I put my hand on the transfer case shifter handle I can feel a pulsing vibration in sync with the "ratcheting" sound. I can make it a bit better or worse by pushing down or pulling up slightly on the transfer case shifter. Sometimes when it is happening if I let of the throttle and get back on it goes away or gets quieter....until the next time I stop or turn right. The shifter feels a bit sloppy too. While driving or in park I can move the shifter an inch or so with no resistance, kind of like somethings loose or worn out.

So...I'm thinking my linkage is worn out/messed up, or my chain is stretched in the transfer case and its getting ready to go BOOM. Any thoughts? Thanks!

It could be from the linkage. Mine did something almost identical after a body lift and raised transfer case skid. To confirm the issue you can easily disconnect the linkage from the transfer case. Either loosen the adjustment screw on the linkage so it moves freely or disconnect it from the transfer case. Then make sure the selector is in 2wd on the transfer case and take it for a test drive. If that solves your problem then you then you can look for the cause. It could be from somebody messing with the linkage in the past or you may have some bad engine/ transmission mounts.

@06lj Good point on the engine mounts. If I jerk the wheel right hard I get a little clunk up front. Same clunk if I hit some potholes a certain way. I've gone over the suspension and steering and everything is tight, I'll take a look this weekend. Same goes for the transfer case linkage. I wont need 4WD for a few months so I could live with it disconnected and in 2WD until I get it sorted out.

I do worry about wear internally to the transfer case. I don't know enough about the inner workings to guess if anything is wrong.

Reactions: 06lj
@06lj Good point on the engine mounts. If I jerk the wheel right hard I get a little clunk up front. Same clunk if I hit some potholes a certain way. I've gone over the suspension and steering and everything is tight, I'll take a look this weekend. Same goes for the transfer case linkage. I wont need 4WD for a few months so I could live with it disconnected and in 2WD until I get it sorted out.

I do worry about wear internally to the transfer case. I don't know enough about the inner workings to guess if anything is wrong.

I wouldn't be to worried about the transfer case. They are pretty simple and bulletproof. The transfer case chain is spinning all the time and is only under load when 4x4 is engaged. If the noise was a precursor to it blowing I'd expect you would be hearing something all of the time. The stock push/pull linkage is a horrible design and is prone to issues. I replaced mine with a Savvy cable shifter after fighting to get it adjusted.

Reactions: Claybirdd