Is Rancho having a problem with Rancho RS5000 shocks?

Darsmith

TJ Enthusiast
So I finally decided to change out the old shocks on the Jeep. Looking at Rancho RS5000 series. Up until Friday I had been looking a the 4 shock Rancho kits (price break) from Amazon and other distributors. As of Friday Amazon is out of stock and 4WP lists the 4 shock kit as discontinued. I also found that the shocks individually are in short supply and I tried a couple of place today with limited success. Is Rancho having some problems or is there suddenly a run on Jeep shocks? I was set to place an order but don't seem to be able to find the kit anymore.

Did you call Rancho directly? Always best to talk straight with the source to find out.

Is there a reason you want the 5000's over the 5000x? The 5000x are about the best shock for the price and are in stock at the retailers you posted.

So I finally decided to change out the old shocks on the Jeep. Looking at Rancho RS5000 series.
You definitely don't want the old hydraulic RS5000 on your TJ, they're among the roughest/stiffest riding shocks I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing. As suggested above it is the Rancho gas-charged RS5000x you want, that shock has a great ride and it performs well offroad.

So I finally decided to change out the old shocks on the Jeep. Looking at Rancho RS5000 series. Up until Friday I had been looking a the 4 shock Rancho kits (price break) from Amazon and other distributors. As of Friday Amazon is out of stock and 4WP lists the 4 shock kit as discontinued. I also found that the shocks individually are in short supply and I tried a couple of place today with limited success. Is Rancho having some problems or is there suddenly a run on Jeep shocks? I was set to place an order but don't seem to be able to find the kit anymore.

My LJ's old shocks were just replaced with a set of RS5000X like everyone is recommending. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet (it's at my parents' house in a different state) but my dad says it's like driving on silk now.

But to your point, yes I had a hard time finding the set of all four shocks. I ended up finding them here but even that's sold out now: https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...cks-set-1997-2006-jeep-wrangler-2wd-4wd-tj-lj

Try using https://shopping.google.com/. That'll search multiple online stores at once.

Assuming you have no lift and you're going with the RS5000X like everyone says to do, you need a set of RS55128 for the front and a set of RS55240 for the rear. If you have a lift you can see the other part numbers here: https://www.gorancho.com/products/shock-absorbers?cat=23&find=2003-jeep-wrangler-4wd-3575388

I don't see any mention of COVID-19 on either their site or their Facebook page. A lot of companies have been saying "we're still open for business!" so maybe if Rancho isn't saying that it means they had to be shut down for a while? Just speculation. Like @Chris said best way to know is to ask them what's up.

Last edited:
If you are having a tough time try Summit Racing. They appear to have them in stock and my recent experience with them has been awesome. I bought the RS55239/RS55241 combo from them on May 26th and got them like 3-4 days later. I actually cancelled my order through 4WP for this issue. I think it is them and their supply chain issues rather than Rancho.

i bought my rs5000x in March on Amazon, no problem.

The RS5000 vs RS5000x issue has already been mentioned, but it may have simply been the Jeep angels looking down on you and making you post here so you didn't make the mistake of buying the rs5000.

Keep in mind a lot of companies had supply interruptions during the worst of the COVID pandemic. I know both my current and previous employers were limiting the number of employees in the factory to maintain distancing.

I’ve had delays in all my parts over the last month. First it was for the Covid stuff, then it was for the riots. Goods don’t seem to be flowing well in general these days. I had two sets of ball joints go missing during shipment from amazon, now the order I placed through summit is back ordered.

Reactions: JMT
I’ve had delays in all my parts over the last month. First it was for the Covid stuff, then it was for the riots. Goods don’t seem to be flowing well in general these days. I had two sets of ball joints go missing during shipment from amazon, now the order I placed through summit is back ordered.
I just placed an order through them today, really hoping for no delays

If you are having a tough time try Summit Racing. They appear to have them in stock and my recent experience with them has been awesome. I bought the RS55239/RS55241 combo from them on May 26th and got them like 3-4 days later. I actually cancelled my order through 4WP for this issue. I think it is them and their supply chain issues rather than Rancho.
I had to do the same. I cancelled the rancho shocks I ordered from 4WD.com because it had been 3 weeks and they still had no ETA. I only tried them first because they had the 10% off deal so they were wicked cheap. I ended up getting all 4 from Jegs racing in a matter of days. You just have to find a site that already has a stock of them because Rancho is backed up getting them out.

You just have to find a site that already has a stock of them because Rancho is backed up getting them out.
I went to order a Traxxas RC car last week for my kid's birthday, I couldn't find one ANYWHERE. Even the Traxxas website showed out of stock of everything. I called them and the rep told me they currently have something like 70k pieces of inventory sitting at the point of entry facility in Louisiana that isn't getting processed because of Corona work restrictions.

Still? Wow
The supply chain in my own industry is still working at about 40%. Anything coming from overseas is basically sitting in the port because there aren’t enough people to get the products out of the containers and onto the trucks.

Delays for anything production related are fairly common still. Looks like Rancho is based In Michigan, where non-essential production was prettying much shut down. It took 3 weeks to get my parts from JKS, also out of Michigan. I also checked with a Jeep dealer a few weeks ago about a transmission filter and they said there was a national back-order.

The other day I also got this update from UPS:

"Civil demonstration has delayed your package in transit. Delivery will be rescheduled. Check back for updates."

The supply chain in my own industry is still working at about 40%. Anything coming from overseas is basically sitting in the port because there aren’t enough people to get the products out of the containers and onto the trucks.

What, with all the people out of jobs, no one wants a job? 🤣