Is the 07-11 JK all that bad?

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
I would like to trade my Tj manual for a JK auto. Friends tell me to get a 12+. Better power and mileage. Problem is the 12+ is half again as much. Is the 07-11 all that bad? Seems to me there is a ton of them out there and getting a ton of miles on them without much problem.

I don't know how bad the 3.8 really is so I did some googling and found 3.8L Jeep Wrangler JK Engine Problems on fourwheeler.com.

After reading that the only thing I'm sure of is that site is there for clickbait. Their so called "list" is just some pictures that explain NOTHING about how or why any issue happened.

I would like to trade my Tj manual for a JK auto. Friends tell me to get a 12+. Better power and mileage. Problem is the 12+ is half again as much. Is the 07-11 all that bad? Seems to me there is a ton of them out there and getting a ton of miles on them without much problem.
I suggest you take a pill and go lay down for a while, this nonsense should pass in due course. IMHO.

Friend of a friend story:

short of it is his JK randomly caught itself on fire While sitting parked, no one near it.

Apparently it’s a common problem that MOPAR knows about, but won’t issue a recall for.

Reactions: Saddle Tramp
Friend of a friend story:

short of it is his JK randomly caught itself on fire While sitting parked, no one near it.

Apparently it’s a common problem that MOPAR knows about, but won’t issue a recall for.

Guy that lives down the street from me had a '08. Last year I was driving into town and found him sitting on the side of the road watching his Jeep burn to the ground.

Said he smelled smoke and pulled over, and barely got out before the fire reached the interior. Fire dept got there pretty fast, but it was done for. They didn't even try to put it out, just made sure it didn't spread to the woods.

Girlfriend had a '08 JK Rubi, 2 Door. That thing was a pig, even with the 4.10 gears. The 3.8 is just a bored out Chrysler 3.3 engine, so in essence, a turd that has been kept warm. The JK platform is very good, just choose a '12 or newer.

The GF had two TJ's before the JK, and she wished she had her TJ's back. Ended up selling the JK couple years ago. This is gonna sound sacrilege on this forum, but with the money I put in my TJ, I would have a very nice and capable '12 or newer JK, and wonder if that would have been a better investment. I was already waist high in my TJ, so there was no turning back.

• Haha
Reactions: Hopper and TJ2
Guy that lives down the street from me had a '08. Last year I was driving into town and found him sitting on the side of the road watching his Jeep burn to the ground.

Said he smelled smoke and pulled over, and barely got out before the fire reached the interior. Fire dept got there pretty fast, but it was done for. They didn't even try to put it out, just made sure it didn't spread to the woods.
Those '07 -'11 make models came with fire extinguisher standard.
Avoid the 3.8L minivan engines. I have the '14 JK and is all good mechanically. Just the crowd I warn you, do not compare them with the TJ folks.

Damn this thread is a kick in the nuts. I was just yesterday looking at those jk's and pondering. Engine aside I liked the earlier ones for the more basic interior over the latter ones and of course price. Considered a 2 door Rubi at some point to go with my recently acquired TJ Rubi and my current daily JL Rubi so it wouldn't be anything I had to rely on for transportation

I was not tickled with the JL. Maybe because I am too old for it (sensors and all).
Technology was developed so fast that humans (general population) are left behind catching up on it.

Reactions: Squatch
I owned an '11 JKUR for four years. The engine and automatic transmission, 42RLE, were grossly under powered for the weight of the vehicle. In fact, 42RLE over heated routinely. Chrysler, in their infinite wisdom, cheaped out and didn't install a transmission cooler. Instead, they installed a "hot oil" light on the transmission, which basically told you your fluid was cooked. Mine went off every wheeling trip. I finally installed a cooler, which took care of the problem. However, it was still under powered and I would never own an '07 to '11 model again, unless I was doing a V8 conversion! (n)

Reactions: Starrs
The 3.6 is a pretty good engine. My buddy and son both have the JKs and have both been well served by them. My friend and I wrench on his and a couple more JKs and mine and other's TJs. My JK friend wishes he had a TJ every time we open the tool box.

I've owned both, 2010 two door Rubi and a 2015 four door Rubi X and I don't recall the 2015 having more power and I definitely don't recall my 04 TJR having more power.

What I do recall is that the 2010 was more fun to drive on the sandy trails we have here. The tuned 3.8 sounded great and had plenty of power in higher rpms.