Is the 07-11 JK all that bad?

I prefer my 3.6 JK in the highway and in-town and I like my TJ in-town and backroads, not in highways.
Test drove the 3.8L JK and has a smooth ride but is not preppy, so I never own one.

Last edited:
My step dad had 2011 unlimited with a manual trans. He had it since new and just traded it on a 2020 JL unlimited.
The 2011 was the worst thing i ever road in. Had zero power. If you were on a highway in the mts you'd be lucky if you could keep it at 45 MPH going up.
The new 2020 on the other hand has a 2" lift and 35's, automatic, 2.0T and its got plenty of power. I enjoy driving that one.

I wonder how many guys that are bashing the 3.8 actually owned one?

I bought mine new and put 36k miles on it with zero problems. Power is easy to get out of it with simple bolt ons and a tune.

Now on the other hand, my 2015 JKR went back as a lemon after months of trying to get it to stop leaking and I never removed the hardtop. Plus the transmission went out on me at 4k miles and was repaired twice under warranty.

I've never driven a 2015, but I have my 05 TJ 4.0 and an 08 JK 3.8 with 35" BFGs both with the 6 speed manual (I'll never own an automatic Jeep, I just like to shift, and wanted both my sons to learn to drive on a stick). I've not seen a single power issue. I drove it as a weekend driver for a year while he was 15 and still drive that 08 here and there, and I have zero issues, very few complaints. I'll never own a 4 door either, so maybe just having a 2 door makes it a work. Also not against anyone else owning the, free country, I just like 2 door Jeeps.

Of course, mine catches fire and I'm changing my opinion, ha. The NHTSA I found said the automatic trans fluid boiled over and caught fire, so while the NSG is bagged on, I guess at least it doesn't catch fire.