Is the roll bar padding different between 97-02 vs 03-06?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I think I asked this question in a different thread. But I can't find it. Is roll bar padding different between early and late model TJ's?

This is the 03-06 padding.

Can I use 03-06 on my '99? I want to use the fatter foam and covers.
Pretty sure it'll fit. The rigid foam is definitely better at protecting your head if you crack it against the cage. I saw stars after hitting my head pretty hard against the older softer/thinner padding.

Pretty sure it'll fit. The rigid foam is definitely better at protecting your head if you crack it against the cage. I saw stars after hitting my head pretty hard against the older softer/thinner padding.

Cool. That's what I was hoping. Found a complete nicer set for 30 bucks. Can't pass it up. I like the fat look. But more importantly I'm 6'3" and would love the extra head protection. It also comes with those cross bars for the front. Will those fit as well?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Cool. That's what I was hoping. Found a complete nicer set for 30 bucks. Can't pass it up. I like the fat look. But more importantly I'm 6'3" and would love the extra head protection. It also comes with those cross bars for the front. Will those fit as well?
There are no significant dimensional cage differences before & after 2003 that I'm aware of. If it fits the 2003 and newer it should fit 2002 and older.

I'm trying to spruce up my roll bar covers, they're in the wash now and I am going to try the fabric paint after. But, if they still look half as bad as they do now, I'd like options.

I have a 97', so I am curious how the newer pads turned out for you. Was it an easy fit, run into any problems?
Thanks

I'm trying to spruce up my roll bar covers, they're in the wash now and I am going to try the fabric paint after. But, if they still look half as bad as they do now, I'd like options.

I have a 97', so I am curious how the newer pads turned out for you. Was it an easy fit, run into any problems?
Thanks
03-06 pads work and look great. But you do have to cut some of the foam padding down to get them to fit. I don't think it lessons the safety any tho. Because the early pads I replaced were thinner to begin with.

I don't recall exactly where I had to trim. But I put the foam on first and held it in place with blue tape. Trimmed with a bread knife where i needed. And left the blue tape to hold it all in place. Then put the covers on over it.

I think the fatter later model looks better. And its safer. Cause its alot thicker.

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
03-06 pads work and look great. But you do have to cut some of the foam padding down to get them to fit. I don't think it lessons the safety any tho. Because the early pads I replaced were thinner to begin with.

I don't recall exactly where I had to trim. But I put the foam on first and held it in place with blue tape. Trimmed with a bread knife where i needed. And left the blue tape to hold it all in place. Then put the covers on over it.

I think the fatter later model looks better. And its safer. Cause its alot thicker.
Thanks, good to know. My padding is in pretty rough shape, so I will be on the lookout.

Am I understanding that you used the original (97-02) covers, but the newer (03-06) padding?

Thanks again!

Thanks, good to know. My padding is in pretty rough shape, so I will be on the lookout.

Am I understanding that you used the original (97-02) covers, but the newer (03-06) padding?

Thanks again!
No. You need a full set of late model foam and covers. They're two entirely different sizes. Save a search on ebay, offerup, CL and any others. Or you might try junkyards at car-parts.com. but junkyards are probably going to be faded. Black spray paint works well. But I'd opt for a like new set.

Jeeppartsdepot will probably have a set. But they are like one of the largest jeep only junkyards. So may be spendy.

Fyi. I keep my jeep covered in the summer months when i go topless. As they and everything else in your Jeep will fade again. I've spent way to much time correcting that to let it fade again. I bought a $36 car cover for a Jeep Cherokee on amazon. It works great. And is better than the reviews would lead you to believe.

Amazon Basics Silver Weatherproof Car Cover - PEVA with Cotton, Sedans up to 200" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TDD48H4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
I stripped the covers and foam off my '03. Saved the parts in case I wouldn't like it, but there was a nice gash on one side from when the beast was burglarized - who slices a soft-top window so hard they get all the way to paint of a roll bar???!! Anyway, I think it looks better without them, feels roomier inside. Any reason why I shouldn't leave them off? Should I sell them?

Took the padding out of the covers and washed them and air dried. Started the paint process and for the cost of a can fabric paint, I can’t complain. Doesn’t look too bad. The smell is very strong though. Painted them outside, and after an hour or so brought them in the garage and it’s got the whole garage smelling. Hopefully that dissipates.

D88B7117-1D1A-46AD-ACE1-D7FA36E47E4B.jpeg

A1C027AE-372F-405B-B1EC-B84C4CD5D512.jpeg

D2550541-646C-4218-A0B8-2776CC48C457.jpeg

Reactions: Reign Mack
Anyway, I think it looks better without them, feels roomier inside. Any reason why I shouldn't leave them off? Should I sell them?
I cracked the hell out of my head hitting the cage offroad, I installed fresh padding right after that. I used pipe insulation from the plumbing supply department.

I stripped the covers and foam off my '03. Saved the parts in case I wouldn't like it, but there was a nice gash on one side from when the beast was burglarized - who slices a soft-top window so hard they get all the way to paint of a roll bar???!! Anyway, I think it looks better without them, feels roomier inside. Any reason why I shouldn't leave them off? Should I sell them?
Some guys do. But I'm with Jerry. It's a safety device.