Is the TJ pre-wired for steering wheel radio controls?

Scoutmapper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A friend of mine had a Cherokee that was around the same age as my TJ which is a 2004. His steering wheel had radio controls underneath that you control with fingertips like a race car paddle shifter. Do any of you know if the TJ has wiring already in place for this? I know the plastic cover has the same cutouts, see picture below. I am thinking about picking up some of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7GTFF6/?tag=wranglerorg-20 and wiring but not sure how far I will need to go to complete this. I also plan to install a double din stereo so if you have suggestions please chime in. Thanks!

The TJ does not have wiring in place for this already.

That's not to say you couldn't wire it up and make something work, but it's not going to be plug-and-play by any stretch of the imagination. I'm also not sure how you'll get it working with the clock spring.

Reactions: Scoutmapper
By using the clock spring from a WJ.

I would pick up the wheel, clock spring, plug, etc from a WJ in the junkyard. Should be readily available and cost about $3.50, lol

Reactions: Scoutmapper
I'd be interested if you do this!

I've got nerve damage in my neck that limits my ability to raise my left arm while in a sitting position. Operating the radio is a problem, as is starting the car in my '03 TJ (to change radio stations or volume I reach over with my left arm). Steering wheel controls would be awesome.

I have also found on Amazon a module that you can attach to the steering wheel that has radio buttons. It connects to an aftermarket radio via Bluetooth. I might go that route if I have to, but the WJ conversion would be preferred. I just sold my 2012 WJ with the controls (although I would not have scavenged the parts to upgrade the TJ).

I converted my cruise control buttons into volume control buttons. Both systems work off of different resistance values for each button. Since my Jeep didn't come with cruise and I don't really want it, I ordered the buttons on ebay, the clockspring from Rock and a universal PAC controller from amazon. Nothing even close to plug and play, but doable

Reactions: Jamison C
resurrecting this thread to see if anyone ended up trying this. I drove an '01 WJ for 14 years and hate looking at the exact same steering wheel in my TJ but not having the handy volume buttons on the backside behind the cruise control. I really liked that.

Reactions: Ephry73
I converted my cruise control buttons into volume control buttons. Both systems work off of different resistance values for each button. Since my Jeep didn't come with cruise and I don't really want it, I ordered the buttons on ebay, the clockspring from Rock and a universal PAC controller from amazon. Nothing even close to plug and play, but doable
I would like to complete this mod for my Jeep as well. Is it possible to discuss with you exactly how you did it?

The wheel out of the WJ's are not a direct swap- the spline is the same but I am pretty sure the controls are different. I tried this but would have had to at least change the clock spring- the connections for the airbag are different so I just put a newer wheel on mine- found a great one out of a XJ that was a exact replacement / fit- no radio controls though

I would like to complete this mod for my Jeep as well. Is it possible to discuss with you exactly how you did it?
Sure, its been a few months, I can probably remember a few things. The first thing I needed was a cruise clockspring, I got it from RockAuto.

Then the buttons from ebay.

I needed one of these too.
PAC steering wheel interface.

I used this video as a "how to"

The whole process wasn't terribly complicated, the hardest part was getting the PAC interface to communicate with my stereo. Read the instructions VERY carefully. Also, in the video, he tells you the correct wires to use. The factory service manual wiring diagram is incorrect.

Hope that helps

Many thanks. My 05 LJ seems to be pre-wired for cruise as I found the unused plug in the engine compartment. Next, I have to pull wheel to see if I have correct clockspring. I appreciate your help.

if you have a pre wired system TJ 05-06 Yes, you can ad a most likely rarely used complete cruise control in 20 minutes or something much more useful SW radio controls. Find used cruise control switches with a pac swi-cp2 wil wire easily in after the steering column behind dash. there are a few videos on youtube showing this. If youre like me and dont have prewire in a 2001, non prewired tj's will need, sw switches left and right ($30-70), clock ring with cruise control wires ($150 parts yard-$600Mopar), cruise control harness leads after clock ring (fab or parts yard), a pac-swi module, and a radio that accepts steering wheel control inputs. The web doesnt recommend using clockring after an airbag deployment, however if damaged they may be repairable for the right price. Im going after a deployed airbag clockring this week to see what the real story is with it. My guy will give me a good deal on it. So who knows...

Reactions: hear and JDM