Is there a difference between a rebuilt and re-manufactured 42RLE?

lafittejeep

TJ Enthusiast
My 05 unlimited 42rle just started acting up. Stuck in what seems to be 3rd gear. Just wont shift so I am taking it to a local recommended ( famous last word ) transmission shop to get a diagnostic. I know they can be rebuilt and a reman can be the other option but has anyone had a rebuilt and is completely with the results or has any opted for the reman transmission. Is one better than the other? Thanks

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Could also be the ECM, check with @Wranglerfix on the symptoms. 05-06 autos are known to have issues.

I have an ATS reman in mine, its been great but they are pricey.
I have replaced my PCM (not wranglerfix) in 2018 and hopefully its not that but I am sure when the tech runs the diagnostic they find out what is the cause.

I have replaced my PCM (not wranglerfix) in 2018 and hopefully its not that but I am sure when the tech runs the diagnostic they find out what is the cause.
Talk with Mark at Wranglerfix.com before doing anything with your 42RLE. Plenty of places will sell you a used PCM, not often with good results. Wranglerfix is, at this point, the only source we're aware of of good technical expertise with the 42RLE and the PCM that in 05/06 models frequently causes problems for the 42RLE. In other words, many 42RLE problems in 05/06 models are frequently (most often?) caused by the PCM which contains the transmission controller.

@AMS417 thank you.

@lafittejeep Are there any codes present? Limp mode usually brings a 0700 and an underlying code. Check the black connector on your Jeep as that controls the shifting. Spray some contact cleaner and make sure the red clips are firmly clipped in. I have enclosed a few photos of some common wiring gremlins on the Lee’s years.

Is there a hard shift when cold?

63FFF2B1-0E57-439A-A4B2-167E182BD519.jpeg

AFC08A8D-D099-4D34-BBD9-30AE761A899C.jpeg

87137775-F516-4D92-BFB9-B201F04D30CB.jpeg

AC87062A-3980-4AF9-ABDC-33B59BE7B998.jpeg

The only major difference between a rebuilt and re-manufactured transmission is where the work is done. A re-manufactured transmission is done in a factory setting, while the former is done in a local shop. Personally, if there is a trusted shop nearby I like to deal with them. That way they will warranty, parts and labor, what they do. You just need to ask up front what they rebuild and how they warranty their work.

@AMS417 thank you.

@lafittejeep Are there any codes present? Limp mode usually brings a 0700 and an underlying code. Check the black connector on your Jeep as that controls the shifting. Spray some contact cleaner and make sure the red clips are firmly clipped in. I have enclosed a few photos of some common wiring gremlins on the Lee’s years.

Is there a hard shift when cold?

View attachment 282031

View attachment 282032

View attachment 282033

View attachment 282034
P0700 is one code and the other is P0733

P0700 is one code and the other is P0733
The P0700 is a general catch-all code that doesn't really say anything other than "something" is wrong with the transmission. Plug an external code reader into the OBDII port to get the underlying codes that the TJ's built-in code reader doesn't display.

I have an inexpensive code reader from Harbor Freight Tools that does that well, it's what gave me my deeper 42RLE codes when it started going into limp mode or locking up and I was only getting the P0700 code from the TJ's code reader.