Is there a guide on Dana rear ends somewhere?

rancholago

TJ Enthusiast
I have been trying to research the ins and outs of the Dana 30 and Dana 35 axles. I have come up with some questions, that I seem to find conflicting answers.
First off my 2001 TJ has 3.07 gears, I am ok with the 3.07 LSD, I will not be involved with extreme rock climbing etc. I have 31 inch tires with a 2 inch lift.
Here are my questions....
1. Is there a "breaking" point for the size of gears you can install with the carrier that comes with the 3.07 ? And if so, what is the exact breaking point?
2. When I look through the application charts for "lockers" they make a note of (for example) fits 3.77 and higher OR fits 3.55 and lower. Is this a physical size thing or you just shouldn't lock a 3.07 cause you just don't know better?
3. Is it because the ring gear is thicker on higher ratio gear sets and the ring must be removed to gain access.
I have not been able to find the answers for these things if someone could point me in the right direction it would help

I have been trying to research the ins and outs of the Dana 30 and Dana 35 axles. I have come up with some questions, that I seem to find conflicting answers.
First off my 2001 TJ has 3.07 gears, I am ok with the 3.07 LSD, I will not be involved with extreme rock climbing etc. I have 31 inch tires with a 2 inch lift.
Here are my questions....
1. Is there a "breaking" point for the size of gears you can install with the carrier that comes with the 3.07 ? And if so, what is the exact breaking point?
2. When I look through the application charts for "lockers" they make a note of (for example) fits 3.77 and higher OR fits 3.55 and lower. Is this a physical size thing or you just shouldn't lock a 3.07 cause you just don't know better?
3. Is it because the ring gear is thicker on higher ratio gear sets and the ring must be removed to gain access.
I have not been able to find the answers for these things if someone could point me in the right direction it would help
I'm not clear here: are you saying that you are happy with the 3.07's, or the limited slip diff? That ratio is way undergeared for the auto and 31's. And it's not about rock crawlin' (rock climbing uses your arms and legs). The right gear ratio is more about getting good performance on the street, and makes the rig much more pleasant to drive.

Edit: Reading your post again, it looks like you want to keep the LSD, but change the gear ratio, correct?

Last edited:
This chart explains the different Dana diffs, and carrier breaks...

1618866270352.png

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Thanks for this information, it will help with making plans.
I had the mistaken idea that if I could work around the 3.07 and its carrier it would make things less expensive and more straight forward for me.
In this area to "have some one do the work" on a gear change is crazy expensive. It looks like I will have to figure out my options and see if I can do it myself.

Is there any way of identifying the different carriers for the Dana 30 and Dana 35. For example if some one says I have a carrier for a dana 30 how do I make sure its for the higher gears and not the same one I already have for the 3.07 to 3.54

I appreciate the help thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for this information, it will help with making plans.
I had the mistaken idea that if I could work around the 3.07 and its carrier it would make things less expensive and more straight forward for me.
In this area to "have some one do the work" on a gear change is crazy expensive. It looks like I will have to figure out my options and see if I can do it myself.

Is there any way of identifying the different carriers for the Dana 30 and Dana 35. For example if some says I have a carrier for a dana 30 how do I make sure its for the higher gears and not the same one I already have for the 3.07 to 3.54

I appreciate the help thanks

Something else to look at is find a pair of axles from a 4 cylinder TJ. They come stock with 4.10 gears and can be had for a lot cheaper sometimes than getting new gears installed.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ