Is there a problem with being towed like this?

Man I really regret not putting the transfer case in N after seeing all these replies. He was adamant on keeping it in gear since he had “18 years of experience”. I called him just now and he didn’t inform me of any accident happening so I don’t think anything has happened to the transfer case that he knows of. He still has an hour before he gets there so I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Is it possible that the transfer case blows when I drive it back down?

Holy crap man.. how far is this thing being towed?

the nearest place you trust for a misfire is 3 1/2 hours away?
I've been chasing this misfire for half a year now and it has gotten on my nerves so yes. Took it to a local shop with no luck either. Called another reputable jeep shop who said he wouldn't be able to diagnose the misfire as efficiently as his friend (who I am taking it to.) I have it pretty narrowed down to a wiring issue.

Reactions: cliffish
My fear is either the tcase or transmission blew from the way he flat towed it. The front axle was trying to spin both the transfer case which was in gear and the transmission which was in Park.
how does the front axle try to spin the transmission in 2wd? yes the pavement rotates the front shaft but in 2wd the tcase gears for the front axle are not engaged. if im not mistaken the chain even spins inside the case yes but the other end is not engaged on the output shaft of the tcase unless it is in 4 low or 4 high.

I'm not positive but ive rebuilt a few transfer cases and im just not following this assertion.

Lubrication is another Factor entirely for the TCase, as the pump is driven by... damn I think its the rear output shaft, which would be not spinning. the only moving parts would be said chain and front output shaft and associated gears, which should be totally immersed in fluid based on the angle of the jeep.

In short, im no expert and there's obviously better ways to tow, but i think you'll be fine.

Reactions: DropTopDon
Your driver has 18 years experience, and while that sounds impressive, I have friends that have been stupid since they were born and they are still getting by & dodging bullets purely by the grace of God.
My point is that just because someone has experience doesnt mean that they have brains.

Last edited:
I've been chasing this misfire for half a year now and it has gotten on my nerves so yes. Took it to a local shop with no luck either. Called another reputable jeep shop who said he wouldn't be able to diagnose the misfire as efficiently as his friend (who I am taking it to.) I have it pretty narrowed down to a wiring issue.
KK, not a criticism just curious of the distance.

Reactions: DropTopDon
Your driver has 18 years experience, and while that sounds impressive, I have friends that have been stupid since they were born and they are still getting by & dodging bullets by the grace of God.
My point is that just because someone has experience doesnt mean that they have brains.
+1

18 years of experience... doing shit the wrong way.

You said the driver insisted on dollying the front wheels? If so, you should be okay. That's equivalent to all 4 wheels off the ground.

Man I really regret not putting the transfer case in N after seeing all these replies. He was adamant on keeping it in gear since he had “18 years of experience”. I called him just now and he didn’t inform me of any accident happening so I don’t think anything has happened to the transfer case that he knows of. He still has an hour before he gets there so I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Is it possible that the transfer case blows when I drive it back down?
Owners manual says trans in park transfer case in neutral,I don’t get the(it will slide off thing)?

Owners manual says trans in park transfer case in neutral,I don’t get the(it will slide off thing)?

+1. If it's tied down securely it's not going anywhere. It's not like he's just putting the tires on the dolly and depending on the tires and the drivetrain to hold it up there.

As long as oil can get into the mode hub where it rides on the rear output shaft then it's probably ok. I don't know if that's far enough forward to be submerged at that angle or not.

Does this mean the tcase gets severe wear with no oil if the Jeep is driven in 4-hi with the rear driveshaft disconnected?