Is there any value in a NSG370 6-speed?

How many miles are on your transmissions?

I can tell you the previous owner didn't know how to drive, or didn't understand the basic principles of a truck transmission. My NSG370 only had 55k miles on it before the reverse gear was shot, 1st gear was incredibly hard to get into, etc. (that's how I bought it). I replaced the entire thing with a rebuilt unit and I am very particular on how I drive now. I won't even let my wife drive the Jeep because of it. Regardless, a lot of people abused the shit out of these things and that's why people think they suck.

Mine has 128k now, had 119k when I bought it and I inherited the problem. I don't know it's history but everything else on the Jeep was in a better state of maintenance than the 99 TJ I had before that, which had 116k on an Ax15 that was quiet, tight, shifted fine into every gear and stayed in, so I have no reason to believe the nsg370 was abused any more than my Ax15 was, and in fact on the first oil change the Ax15 came out looking like it had water in it and the nsg370 came out clear with a caramel color (I acknowledge the possibility that someone changed the oil before the sale, but the lubricants in all the other gearboxes were not overly used but certainly not new...maybe he changed it hoping to fix it)

I doubt that 05-06 TJs are somehow on average more exposed to abuse and neglect than 97-99 or 00-04 are.

Mine has 128k now, had 119k when I bought it and I inherited the problem. I don't know it's history but everything else on the Jeep was in a better state of maintenance than the 99 TJ I had before that, which had 116k on an Ax15 that was quiet, tight, shifted fine into every gear and stayed in, so I have no reason to believe the nsg370 was abused any more than my Ax15 was, and in fact on the first oil change the Ax15 came out looking like it had water in it and the nsg370 came out clear with a caramel color (I acknowledge the possibility that someone changed the oil before the sale, but the lubricants in all the other gearboxes were not overly used but certainly not new...maybe he changed it hoping to fix it)

I doubt that 05-06 TJs are somehow on average more exposed to abuse and neglect than 97-99 or 00-04 are.
There's no doubt the AX-15 is a more robust transmission.

I'm referring to people who bought 05-06 TJs who bought them off the lot and drove them like race cars. We all know Jeeps are fast.

There's no doubt the AX-15 is a more robust transmission.

I'm referring to people who bought 05-06 TJs who bought them off the lot and drove them like race cars. We all know Jeeps are fast.

I get that, I think. I'm just saying that the Ax15 and nv3550 wouldn't have been exposed to any less abuse. I've owned a lot of manual transmission vehicles, many with a few miles and years, sometimes decades of use by previous owners, often sporty cars that would be prone to spirited driving by the unqualified, and the only one 've ever had to replace was one where they literally ran it dry until the input-counters haft teeth melted off and left it only with 4th, which they drove until the clutch literally exploded. That tells me that all those other transmissions had enough toughness margin in the design to handle that abuse, and the nsg370 doesn't.