Is there anything I should be worried about after rolling my Jeep?

BoxCarRiver

Hey guys, I I was on my way to go snowboarding and over corrected on some ice a few miles out from my house. I spun on the road and rolled into a ditch. After we got it upright, I was able start it up like nothing happened. No oil leaks or anything. Aside from my steering wheel being a different poison than before, I didn't notice any difference in the driving. The soft top is trashed, but most of the main body parts are undamaged. Drove it right home without any issues. I was lucky that the roll happened on soft dirt. I had spun out so much that I was travailing backwards when it happened. The roll bar did its work. Saved my life. I climbed out completely unhurt. Thank you, God.

I am wondering what are the common points of failure after surviving a light roll? What have you guys seen and what do you recommend checking on?

Thanks,
/River

PXL_20211220_170146026.MP.jpg

PXL_20211220_170331026.MP.jpg

PXL_20211220_182402334.jpg

NOPLATE.jpg

PXL_20211220_184821898.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Tob and Squatch
Check all the suspension bracket welds and the arms for damage. You bent something in the steering I would bet with the wheel being off center. Probably a tierod end. Check the track bars and mounts for damage.

Best if you can get it on a lift to look it over. Go slow, check everything. Hope you are lucky and its a minor fix.

Pants are the first thing that need to be checked after a rollover, then as mentioned above all suspension and steering geometry/components should be checked since the wheel index is off, along with the roll bar itself.
Glad you are here to ask.

Did the exact same thing with a brand new 86 CJ7. Cleaned it up and drove it for 3 years and sold it. No damage that couldn’t be easily fixed in my garage.

My Son has rolled my 89 YJ twice, that I know of. Fist time it rolled on it’s side in the dunes. Second time he hit a berm with the front right tire and did a 540 degree pirouette and landed on the roof. The last one was 7 years ago and it is still going strong. There are ripples in the body but the frame came out OK. Tore up the soft top and now it sports a bikini top. On a positive note I do not have to worry about scratching it or adding more dents. Oh and he drove it without the hood latched and smashed the window and frame. Bottle jack against the roll bar and $125 at the glass shop fixed that. Needless to say he DOES NOT drive my YJ.

I've always said; when a car slides off the road, it stays upright but can't drive out.
A jeep could drive out, but usually rolls first.

Reactions: AndyG
Glad you are ok- thread speaks volumes about how tough these little guys are- pay attention to the above thread about the brackets,etc- Something is bound to be tweaked.

As far as what to worry about- Don’t worry, be happy. That tree could have changed the story a good bit.

This thread proves how dangerous snowboarding is. Just trying to get there could get you killed.

Rolled it. Got in it. Cranked it. Drove home. Only in a Jeep.

Reactions: Squatch
My Son has rolled my 89 YJ twice, that I know of. Fist time it rolled on it’s side in the dunes. Second time he hit a berm with the front right tire and did a 540 degree pirouette and landed on the roof. The last one was 7 years ago and it is still going strong. There are ripples in the body but the frame came out OK. Tore up the soft top and now it sports a bikini top. On a positive note I do not have to worry about scratching it or adding more dents. Oh and he drove it without the hood latched and smashed the window and frame. Bottle jack against the roll bar and $125 at the glass shop fixed that. Needless to say he DOES NOT drive my YJ.
Does that me he drives the TJ. :ROFLMAO:

My Son has rolled my 89 YJ twice, that I know of.
This made me LOL. I raised 5 boys, and now that they are in there 30's and 40's I'm constantly finding out that the stories I was told at the time of various accidents in the past were not always the strictest truths.
Little pricks used to steal my weed, too.

This made me LOL. I raised 5 boys, and now that they are in there 30's and 40's I'm constantly finding out that the stories I was told at the time of various accidents in the past were not always the strictest truths.
Oh like a deer ran out in front of me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes the truth always comes out evetually.

It looks ok in the photos you posted but I’d suggest that you make sure the frame is still square as built. Ultimately, that’s what put the end to my last TJ.
AD47D975-7DD7-40D1-A1EC-8B0BF8353AC5.jpeg
C2EB75C4-11E3-48D8-BB56-77733E35D4EA.jpeg

Update: I looked at the bottom a few weeks ago. Been busy doing work that needed to be done to the Jeep anyway such as alignment and differential fluid. The only damage we found underneath was one of the bracket connectors on the front passenger side. We think it was bent by the tow-truck winch. (See pics below) Likely going to replace it. What do you guys recommend doing?

Thanks for all of your advice and stories, you guys rock!

signal-2021-12-27-23-04-51-100.jpg

signal-2021-12-27-23-05-13-428.jpg

Barnes sells some heavier mounts too.

Note that the windshield did not crack, that is a sign of an "easy" or "soft" roll. Mine will crack leaning against a canyon wall. LOL