Is this 2004 Dodge Ram a good Hemi donor?

KEWL. That tank sure has changed from my 97 one. Great find.
Thanks. Yeah, its funny, I guess there are actually 4 different tanks for the TJs.

There's an early 97 which I don't fully understand but it is apparently different than the later ones. Apparently it was baffled to have a lower fuel capacity than the later ones, and I think the fuel pump/regulator assembly on top is different as well.

Then there is the most common, 97-02. We see these everywhere.

03-04 are different due to the emission fittings and filler hose,

...and of course, the 05/06 ones are the coveted ones for the gen3 v8 swaps due to the higher pressure and the NVLD which allows you to make it 50 state emission compliant.

I know red rock and novak sell deals to use a corvette regulator and a billet fitting that replaces the regulator on the earlier pumps to increase the pressure for these swaps, but these are all over $200. This whole setup for me was $100.

I actually bought an 03/04 one for my current jeep because I Found it super cheap and they don't seem to be readily available. That may be for sale in a bit lol.

Reactions: pc1p
Yeah, good point, I need to look into this problem. I haven't been paying attention since mine is an 04. There is some kind of valve in the fill tube or something I think. I'll google. it.
There are at least a couple of ways to address it but as far as I can tell, the right way is the one where you pull the plunger out of the check valve and sand down some nubs on its perimeter so it moves smoothly in the housing. It'll be cake with a tank that's already out.

Reactions: hardtailpan
There are at least a couple of ways to address it but as far as I can tell, the right way is the one where you pull the plunger out of the check valve and sand down some nubs on its perimeter so it moves smoothly in the housing. It'll be cake with a tank that's already out.
Thanks for this, I'll definitely address it before I install it.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I’m in for the ride. Looking forward to your swap. I’ve done it myself - very challenging and rewarding. I have an 04 LJ, into which I swapped what started out as a Hemi from an ‘06 ram 2500. I did stick with the auto, though. interested in how you will do the stick.

Reactions: pc1p
Not a cheap flywheel but here is one:

TCI Dodge Gen III HEMI Flexplate (compcams.com)

But it's a 131 tooth so I don't know if that will work.
Hey, @Wildman, I'm keeping the NV3550 and not swapping to an automatic, so I need a flywheel, not a flexplate. The one that came out is 143 tooth, so that's what should go back in. There are some hemi ones in the 3/4 ton around 2005, so that is the first place I am looking.

Thanks tho!

What are some trustworthy,simple, bulletproof us made/designed engine other than hemi? I am pensioner, grandpa style driver even me feel miserable when i takeover road trains on highway with my 32rh. I want to swap it either into my current tj or other framed sedan or pickup. We only have 90ies 2000ies american cars here, most gas guzzler car owners cant feed their cars so i guess those engines will be my choice!? Japanese engine swap kits are very expensive because locals have cult of toyota. I want something that can withstand 40+c summers and -20c winter with long uphill drivings.

Thanks. Yeah, its funny, I guess there are actually 4 different tanks for the TJs.

There's an early 97 which I don't fully understand but it is apparently different than the later ones. Apparently it was baffled to have a lower fuel capacity than the later ones, and I think the fuel pump/regulator assembly on top is different as well.

Then there is the most common, 97-02. We see these everywhere.

03-04 are different due to the emission fittings and filler hose,

...and of course, the 05/06 ones are the coveted ones for the gen3 v8 swaps due to the higher pressure and the NVLD which allows you to make it 50 state emission compliant.

I know red rock and novak sell deals to use a corvette regulator and a billet fitting that replaces the regulator on the earlier pumps to increase the pressure for these swaps, but these are all over $200. This whole setup for me was $100.

I actually bought an 03/04 one for my current jeep because I Found it super cheap and they don't seem to be readily available. That may be for sale in a bit lol.
The hemi was introduced the year after my 2002 Jeep. Somehow my dad found an almost brand new engine out of a wrecked Dodge Ram that year. The engine was in the garage, ready to go into my one-year-old TJ. Thought I was going to be a 17 year old with Hemi Jeep Wrangler. But it wasn’t meant to be. The parts to make it work were too expensive. The one that sticks out to me was the 03+ TJ fuel system that I would have needed. There wasn’t really any used parts market at that time on 03+ TJ parts so the engine got sold and project never happened. Now TJ parts are so cheap, I can’t believe it.

So I’ll have to live my hemi swap dream through you on this thread.

Not super exciting but I went to look at a hemi donor truck this weekend....ugh! As I open the hood the first thing I see is the t-handle from the oil dipstick sitting on the airbox cover because it rusted off and broke. Whole thing was a pile of rust. Guy thought starter had died and it had sat for a long time, at least a year. Just for kicks i put a ratchet on the front pulley bolt. Locked solid.
So, the search continues....

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
Not super exciting but I went to look at a hemi donor truck this weekend....ugh! As I open the hood the first thing I see is the t-handle from the oil dipstick sitting on the airbox cover because it rusted off and broke. Whole thing was a pile of rust. Guy thought starter had died and it had sat for a long time, at least a year. Just for kicks i put a ratchet on the front pulley bolt. Locked solid.
So, the search continues....
So, the saga continues. The guy with this truck reached out to me and I ended up buying it for scrap value. I wanted the wheels (nice factory alloys) for my truck (same year, but mine isn't a hemi), and a few other parts. I have a car trailer, and I don't need to pick it until spring, so my transport costs will consist of fuel for my truck.

I'll pull the motor and see if it is worth saving, but I'll get a harness, gas pedal, and a computer out of the deal either way. I figure by the time I am done parting it and scrap the rest, my net out of pocket cost will be close to -0-, not counting my time of course lol.

What year is the donor truck?

For the price (free!), it is worth having some parts on hand, particularly a useful ECM, truck front cover and accessories, pedal, etc.

So, the saga continues. The guy with this truck reached out to me and I ended up buying it for scrap value. I wanted the wheels (nice factory alloys) for my truck (same year, but mine isn't a hemi), and a few other parts. I have a car trailer, and I don't need to pick it until spring, so my transport costs will consist of fuel for my truck.

I'll pull the motor and see if it is worth saving, but I'll get a harness, gas pedal, and a computer out of the deal either way. I figure by the time I am done parting it and scrap the rest, my net out of pocket cost will be close to -0-, not counting my time of course lol.
Where in the Northeast do you live. I need a front passenger gold door and a tailgate for my Dodge?

What year is the donor truck?

For the price (free!), it is worth having some parts on hand, particularly a useful ECM, truck front cover and accessories, pedal, etc.
Yeah, that's what I figure as well. its a 2005 so the perfect year for the swap in my 04 TJ. Gives me something else to keep me off the streets lol...

Reactions: pc1p and Wildman
So, my best friend found a 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi truck which I can basically have for the cost of towing to my house, say $100. My Jeep is a 2004. This I believe means they are both PCI bus. The hemi in the truck doesn't run and has about 200k miles. It's not clear why it doesn't run. My reading tells me this is the perfect donor truck for a hemi conversion should I consider doing one. I have been thinking about it for a while, but hadn't started collecting parts. I'm in no hurry to do this as my jeep runs well. I guess my question is, is there any reason not to snag this? I have the room to store it. I would probably want to get the hemi running in the donor before a swap to the TJ, and i'll have the whole truck, including title. I would obviously completely rebuild the motor before putting it in the TJ. Also, my daily is a dodge of almost the same vintage which this could be a parts donor for.

What ya'll think?
Where’s it at? I’ll come get it...lol

Yeah, that's what I figure as well. its a 2005 so the perfect year for the swap in my 04 TJ. Gives me something else to keep me off the streets lol...
Definitely correct. If it were a 2006 you would have to source a PCM from a 2005 to work with the TJ’s dash, even though it’s the exact same engine (Ask me how I know...).