Is this a head gasket issue?

Morks

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
04 tj sport manual. Since I bought my jeep I've done thermostat, heater core... I have no heat in my jeep and lose a bit of coolant over weeks. Out of my tailpipe, I can smell a sweet smell like burning coolant. I've checked all the obvious things just not sure whether or not I should start to diagnose a bad head gasket and think about tearing it all apart. Thanks for any and all help

Look for bubbles in the coolant that smell like exhaust.
Do you see continuous steam coming from the exhaust pipe?
Apressure check can be done of the cooling system.
Pull the spark plugs to see if there are signs of coolant burning.

I'll check for bubbles, when I start it up there seems to be more steam than usual, however, it's my first winter with it so it could be cold weather. I just did the spark plugs a couple of weeks ago and everything seemed okay. Most likely will be getting a pressure test kit sometime soon to see.

checked for exhaust bubbles in the rad and nothing, still 0 smoke from the tailpipe so I put my face right at the tail pipe while it was running for a second, lol, and definitely smelt what had to be burning coolant.

You can buy a test kit from pretty much any auto parts store to test for head gasket leak. Some will loan you the tester for free, and only charge for the test fluid when you return it. It test the coolant for exhaust gases. Checking the plugs is a good method as well.

Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVBSFTF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Vtx531
You can buy a test kit from pretty much any auto parts store to test for head gasket leak. Some will loan you the tester for free, and only charge for the test fluid when you return it. It test the coolant for exhaust gases. Checking the plugs is a good method as well.

Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVBSFTF/?tag=wranglerorg-20
This!!! I rented one from auto zone and purchased the test fluid for $8. Works amazing and will give you your answer

Reactions: Sgt Jarhead