Tim_with_the_tj

TJ Enthusiast
DCA25567-002A-4329-8F6B-E4339F26E9FC.jpeg

FA2FBD94-4884-4341-8165-6BE19E65EB58.jpeg

Bear with me because I’m new to TJs. These parts were already installed when I recently purchased the Jeep. I had an issue with the rear anti-sway bar on the trail. One of the aftermarket end links snapped when one side of the rear was at full stuff. (I should have probably disconnected these since they were quick disconnect, but it never crossed my mind). I’m looking at this rear anti-sway bar thinking it looks awfully thick compared to what I’ve seen while searching the web. Is this thing stock?

I would also love to get any recommendations on what ends links to use when replacing these. I need to figure out the right solution for this because the Jeep is definitely less stable on road now. It’s already sketchy enough as it is without a disconnected rear anti-sway bar. 😆

Last edited:
Not sure why this thread linked below didn’t come up in my search, but looks like stock rear anti-sway bar is about 0.6 inch diameter. Should I switch this thicker one out for a stock one? Jeep is lifted about 3 inches rear, 4 inches front and on 33s. It had a bunch of sway on road before this end link broke, but I’m fairly sure it needs new shocks (and the rear LCA bushing look bad). I will say it felt somewhat unpredictable in it’s handling characteristics and sway when the rear bar was still connected. Now it’s more predictable, but less stable/more sway.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-stock-sway-bar-diameter-on-a-tj.27053/

For most people the stock rear sway bar works fine even lifted... most don't even have disconnects etc just leaving it connected at all times.

Reactions: Tim_with_the_tj
After some more digging I did figure out what parts these are. It’s a Steinjager heavy duty rear sway bar kit. 1.05” diameter bar.
21AB1349-0D11-44A9-B64D-0A7A439825C8.jpeg

It was adjusted pretty much parallel with the ground at ride height, but did managed to snap that end link at full articulation. Not sure if I should buy a set of new end links and adjust it differently? What’s to say it won’t break again if I don’t disconnect it… I’m not loving the quick disconnect setup because I won’t feel like laying on the ground every damn time. They have to be secured with zip ties. 9 months a year it’s raining here in the PNW.

Unless you have a roof top tent or roof rack carrying heavy loads I would get a stock bar and some quality links. There should be no need to disconnect the rear sway bar even for off road use.

Unless you have a roof top tent or roof rack carrying heavy loads I would get a stock bar and some quality links. There should be no need to disconnect the rear sway bar even for off road use.
That’s what I was thinking, but I wasn’t sure. Still learning this platform. Thanks guys.

What end links would be considered quality products? There’s a lot of aftermarket parts out there for Jeeps to sort through.

That’s what I was thinking, but I wasn’t sure. Still learning this platform. Thanks guys.

What end links would be considered quality products? There’s a lot of aftermarket parts out there for Jeeps to sort through.
For 3.5-4 inch lift something like RockJock CE-9142 works.

What’s to say it won’t break again if I don’t disconnect it… I’m not loving the quick disconnect setup because I won’t feel like laying on the ground every damn time.
Those disconnects look janky as hell...

I wheel my factory sway bar fully connected at all times, you WANT to do this unless you like body roll on off camber roads :D Never broken one despite being full stuff many, many times.

I have never seen anyone I wheel with disconnect a rear sway bar.

Those disconnects look janky as hell...

I wheel my factory sway bar fully connected at all times, you WANT to do this unless you like body roll on off camber roads :D Never broken one despite being full stuff many, many times.

I have never seen anyone I wheel with disconnect a rear sway bar.
Yeah they do. There has been plenty of questionable stuff I have found done to this Jeep by previous owners. 😂

Reactions: DaveF