Is this a transmission leak?

bonelessnapkins

I recently bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ and from the looks of it, it appears to be leaking transmission fluid. The only problem is I don't know where it's leaking from. Fluid was dripping off of the bolts in the picture and I cleaned it all up to see if I could spot the leak one more time. I'm don't know much about transmissions, but I'm willing to learn. I'd rather learn to fix it myself rather than pay to have it fixed. I'm open to suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20210201_235232896.jpg

PXL_20210201_235210710.jpg

PXL_20210201_235156092.jpg

How much does it leak? A drop or two over night or a small puddle? Are you sure it's tranny fluid?

Whatever it is the best way to figure out where it's coming from is to get wherever it should be really clean, take it for a drive then look around in areas higher than your pictures show. A flashlight and a mirror on a stick will help. Depending on how much it does leak it could either be found right away, the next day, or maybe even days/weeks later.

Good Luck

Support your trans and then pull the skid plate off (or does the auto trans have a separate frame mount?) And get under there with a good flashlight and see. Don't forget eye protection! If the fluid is red and very thin between your fingers it is the trans leaking.

Very carefully try and snug up all the bolts around the trans pan. That big gasket often leaks a bit. Just past snug. Too tight and you can cause it to leak worse. Check for any fluid around the cooler lines. This is another frequent problem area. Those stupid worm style hose clamps suck. Especially on smaller hoses and lines. Check your trans fluid level. Engine needs to be running for this. Read your manual or the trans dipstick for proper way.