Is this an OEM Style Soft Top Frame?

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Trying to piece everything together to get a framed style soft top. I’ve already got the door surrounds. Is this an OEM style soft top frame?

IMG_3931.png

IMG_3932.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bluescapegoat
Trying to piece everything together to get a framed style soft top. I’ve already got the door surrounds. Is this an OEM style soft top frame?

View attachment 539180

View attachment 539181

Also interested in this. I have 2 frames and I think one is factory, the other I'm not sure about. Hope someone chimes in with some pictures.

Reactions: JMT
Is there something special about the factory frame or is bestop just as good? I'm looking into doing the same thing. Haven't had much luck finding someone just wants to trade me for my Trektop, not that's in anywhere near as good condition as mine, anyway.

Is there something special about the factory frame or is bestop just as good? I'm looking into doing the same thing. Haven't had much luck finding someone just wants to trade me for my Trektop, not that's in anywhere near as good condition as mine, anyway.

I’ve had stock and bestop complete replacement, essentially the same except the best top have additional holes on the role bar brackets to adjust the tension and there is less overall slop in the pivot points by nature of being new.

Looks like it, but be wary of that header connection. I've had two of them break on me. The besttop replacements are not cheap, but they are kinda junky. I noticed that the header has separated in that top picture.

Looks like it, but be wary of that header connection. I've had two of them break on me. The besttop replacements are not cheap, but they are kinda junky. I noticed that the header has separated in that top picture.

Is this what you’re talking about?

I don’t know anything about these frames. No examples to look at. Never had one.

If it’s detached like this is it junk?

IMG_3931.jpeg

Is this what you’re talking about?

I don’t know anything about these frames. No examples to look at. Never had one.

If it’s detached like this is it junk?

View attachment 539247

I don't think so. I've rebuilt a couple frames now, but I can't remember that connection off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to take some pics later tonight, though I have the soft top mounted. I like ya bud, but not enough to undo that whole mess, LOL.

• Haha
I've been casually looking for a factory soft top frame as well... it kills me that I just threw mine in a dumpster ~10 years ago. Couldn't give them away and I didn't have the room to horde shit back then.

Now I kind of want to start hacking up the roll bar and that means going back to a factory style top. It's really hard to tell in listings if everything is there or not, especially without a reference.

Reactions: Jamesval035
So as somebody else wanting this sort of info can anybody tell me about the fabric straps? Are those riveted on the frame on both ends or did they have screws or something on one end? There's a frame near me but those straps looks like they're just cut off on one end

So as somebody else wanting this sort of info can anybody tell me about the fabric straps? Are those riveted on the frame on both ends or did they have screws or something on one end? There's a frame near me but those straps looks like they're just cut off on one end

I believe they are riveted from the factory. Mine are definitely riveted, with large washers to help hold the fabric from tearing through.

Reactions: bluescapegoat

I was looking for a soft top frame and had to pay $115 for it… It did not have the fabric straps on it and I tried to run it that way, but the straps hold the rear bar tight… From the factory they come riveted And I bought some OMIX brand straps to replace them and tried the rivet route, but they pulled out… Now I know why the OMIX version comes with Panhead screws… The screws hold better!

OM
I was looking for a soft top frame and had to pay $115 for it… It did not have the fabric straps on it and I tried to run it that way, but the straps hold the rear bar tight… From the factory they come riveted And I bought some OMIX brand straps to replace them and tried the rivet route, but they pulled out… Now I know why the OMIX version comes with Panhead screws… The screws hold better!
OMIX replacement are crap. DIY replacements from Strapworks.com and yes to pan head screws since you need to drill out the rivitis to replace the straps.