Is this noise coming from a bad throw out bearing?

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
I bought a used Jeep a few years ago and the previous owner said he put in a new clutch and changed all the parts.
Now owning the Jeep over a year and checked over it thoroughly and I believe he did do the clutch job but I feel the throw out bearing is starting to fail. So it's making this noise when the clutch is disengaged and in neutral. Once the clutch is pressed in it stops.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xdWR43pGE767PgCN6
So is this actually a throw out bearing and how long will it last before I need to put in a new clutch and all the parts.

Just be glad it doesn't make this noise :D

Idk, it sounds like a bearing. Is it throw out or input shaft?
I would keep driving it, till i feel shifting issues or noise worsen to something in higher pitch spectrum. There is no way to tell the time frame, different for everyone. If you went through some deep mud/water crossing recently, then life expectancy is defiantly on the shorter side.

It is roughly a 9 hour job to change it out, how badly do you want to do it, or pay for it is a better question.

Reactions: Mobusaki
Usually a bad or going bad TOB only makes noise when the clutch is depressed. If you have a noise when the clutch is disengaged, welcome to the NV3550 input shaft bearing. Mine has made that noise for 2 years now.

Reactions: ac_
Usually a bad or going bad TOB only makes noise when the clutch is depressed. If you have a noise when the clutch is disengaged, welcome to the NV3550 input shaft bearing. Mine has made that noise for 2 years now.

CodaMan is correct...
When your foot is not on the clutch your throwout bearing is completely stopped. So it can't be making noise, but if it was bad it would make noise when you push the pedal because it is pressing against the clutch cover and spinning.
He is also correct about the noise front or input bearing on the newer transmissions. It is possible that is normal.

Reactions: CodaMan
CodaMan is correct...
When your foot is not on the clutch your throwout bearing is completely stopped. So it can't be making noise, but if it was bad it would make noise when you push the pedal because it is pressing against the clutch cover and spinning.
He is also correct about the noise front or input bearing on the newer transmissions. It is possible that is normal.

You guys say it's a input shaft bearing. I watched the second video on this thread and the guys Jeep is doing the same thing as my Jeep. Push in the clutch and the squeal goes away. I watched another video on youtube and this mechanic says it's an input shaft bearing too. Every video I see on the input shaft bearing is transmission break down and major service work.
@CodaMan you say yours sounds like that for two years now. Should I not fix issues until its really bad?

Does anyone know if this sound is normal?

It is 100% normal for there to be an audible "whirring" sound when the engine is idle, the transmission is in neutral, and the clutch pedal is up. The whirring sound is the normal sounds of the transmission's input shaft and bearings being spun by the engine. Stepping down on the clutch disconnects the transmission input shaft from the engine so the noise stops.

A bad throwout bearing only screeches/makes noise when the clutch pedal is being stepped on, as described above by Codaman and Zombicon.

A lot of TJ manual transmissions have a rattle at idle in neutral with the clutch engaged. It is often described as a box of marbles. This is completely normal

It is 100% normal for there to be an audible "whirring" sound when the engine is idle, the transmission is in neutral, and the clutch pedal is up. The whirring sound is the normal sounds of the transmission's input shaft and bearings being spun by the engine. Stepping down on the clutch disconnects the transmission input shaft from the engine so the noise stops.

A bad throwout bearing only screeches/makes noise when the clutch pedal is being stepped on, as described above by Codaman and Zombicon.

Thank you very much Jerry. My 2004 TJ with the NV3500 trans. does that and I appreciate the explanation.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and cleared up this little annoyance. Its sounds a little concerning and now a loud radio will fix this problem.
I'm heading out for a 4x4 weekend trip and I want to make sure this rig is up to par. Now I know for sure my TJ just have a few quarks.
What I learn was cool too, that it was a input shaft bearing and not a throw out bearing. Its amazing how just listening and watch a video you guys can troubleshoot this problem. I've learn so much from this forum about my Jeep and the wealth of knowledge here is awesome. It goes to show me the passion people have for Jeep run deep.