Is this rust bad?

View attachment 90941

Let's just look at this picture. The rear body mount in the pic is missing the bolt, so it's not holding the body to the frame. The middle mount looks like the torque box is rotted out, so I doubt that's holding the body to the frame. The rear of the skid plate looks to be lower, with scaling rust between it and the frame, so there's a very good chance the bottom of the frame is rotted out there.

If you do buy it, stay on flat smooth roads, and don't take any turns at speed, unless you trust the rust to hold the Jeep together...

Bad is not the word i would use.

If you look at the tub it is missing the structure.

8CCFC4DE-7544-43B9-BAB8-86A163AE26E4.jpg

Mine had mounts rotted away like that on the tub. The rust goes way further down the tub then outside. I bought some replacement sections that were about 16" long but had to cut away so much down the tub to find good metal to weld. The rust you see is just the tip of the iceberg.

I will warn if it has a hardtop don't take it off. Its almost structural when the body is like that. You can't see it but I bet the tub is warped. Do you have to slam the door to close it?

Mine was almost the same shape as yours and I bought it for more than $1500 :censored:. The resto to make it a safe daily took removing the tub, welding 4 new body mount points +wire wheel + POR+15 tub. And a southern frame. If you looking for a project and have the time why not go for it.

No one is saying the frame is fine. It is just not horrible yet. Lots of life left for light duty use.
I will be the one to say it's not fine, it's not ok, and is horrible. If the OP wants to throw $1500 at that and deal with it, that's his choice. Not a choice too many would make. If by light duty use, you mean parking it next to the house and looking at it, I could agree with that.

Reactions: derekmac
As much as I absolutely hate government intervention. It is vehicles like this that inspection requirements were made for.

I've been in the rust belt my whole life and am generally the one to defend some rustiness even though I pretty much hate it.

I think hitting a chisel, or maybe even a screwdriver, with a hammer would put it right between the skid plate and the frame. If that happened, I would not be defending this one.

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a project that you can daily drive while you collect parts, or want to make a couple bucks parting it out, or want to take it out into the woods and beat it to death, it's perfect.

I'm with you. For $1500.00 I would use it for all it is worth but I wouldn't spend any money on it. Leave the top off and enjoy it.

Back in 1992, I bought this 1970 CJ5 for $1400.00. The floor was rusted out (think Flintstone Mobile), and being a student short on cash, I used angle iron, free sheets of thick stainless steel (my place of employment was throwing out), and a combo of pop rivets/bolts to build an entire new floor.

And for 10 years I drove that CJ5 around the country and up/down the Rocky Mountains when living in Colorado. The fun/expense ratio was off the charts. I loved that little Jeep. But probably some would have considered that vehicle unacceptable. I mean body mounts, what body mounts, lol.

TRC_CJ5.jpg

There is definetely a relevant response thing going on here ... depending on the region.

When I see these threads , I sort of think I see “ Does this v.d. Look bad?” Yeah , all vd kinda does.

On the flip side , for the money , you could destroy it and be ok.

My thought is going to be - we don’t want to see anyone get hurt.

All else aside, that’s genuine.

Reactions: Artemis