Is this the source of my ATF leak?

JeepGirl1013

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a very slow atf leak. Today I found this. What is this hose? Where is it supposed to be connected? I don’t see anywhere obvious it should be in this area.

IMG_7598.jpeg

IMG_7600.jpeg

IMG_7599.jpeg

From the pics it kind of looks like your t-case vent hose. One end goes on a nipple on top of t-case and other end is in a clip that goes in a top bellhousing bolt on driver side if I recall correctly. Seeing as how it takes atf it very well could be.

Reactions: Rickyd
From the pics it kind of looks like your t-case vent hose. One end goes on a nipple on top of t-case and other end is in a clip that goes in a top bellhousing bolt on driver side if I recall correctly. Seeing as how it takes atf it very well could be.
So I got back under and I found the other end with the little cap on it. It has a bracket that it’s stuck to but has come unscrewed from wherever it lives. So this end i pictured looks like it should actually be attached somewhere. I guess it’s time i learn how to drop my transmission! 😅

Get a mirror. You can probably push it back on. If you have enough slack, cut an inch or so off before you do. If you don’t, use a ziptie or hose clamp to secure it.

So I got back under and I found the other end with the little cap on it. It has a bracket that it’s stuck to but has come unscrewed from wherever it lives. So this end i pictured looks like it should actually be attached somewhere. I guess it’s time i learn how to drop my transmission! 😅

The plastic end is the vent end. I agree, very good chance it is the TC vent. If it came off, could have hung on something or aged out and fell off. You’ll have to gauge that.

I put new vent hose on my axles, just used I think 3/8th fuel line.

They’ll cut it at the auto parts store.

Keep that plastic end, ha it is not easy to find from my experience, and it keeps anything from getting down in it.

Look up for a pic online where the vent nipple is, I’d guess you can get it on without dropping it.

But, dropping the skid is not hard, as long as your bolts aren’t jacked up. I would tell Any TJ owner to drop their skid and look to see if the bottom of the frame rail is rusting. I have zero rust, but that exact spot. And I cleaned it with a wire wheel and got it painted up.

On a tangent, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepGirl1013
There should've been a hose clamp on that on the nipple on top of the transfer case. I'm pretty sure you can get to the vent w/o dropping the skid, although the hose clamp might be an adventure to secure. The plastic piece can be found on rock auto & amazon.

Reactions: JeepGirl1013
There should've been a hose clamp on that on the nipple on top of the transfer case. I'm pretty sure you can get to the vent w/o dropping the skid, although the hose clamp might be an adventure to secure. The plastic piece can be found on rock auto & amazon.

I was just about to tag you

The little bracket probably went under a bellhousing bolt

Thank you! I found it and didn’t have to drop the skid

IMG_7988.jpeg

Reactions: LONGJP2