Is this too much money for a TJ?

arcwelder76

Sooo; it’s been a few years but- I’ve had 3 tjs over the years and with the kids getting older I’m thinking about getting into the hobby again. I’m looking into a 2 door clean 03 tj with 125,000 miles. This will be just a toy, not a dd. I have looked into a newer jk but it seems that they are not a great platform that a guy can wrench on as easily as the tj. These things are getting harder and harder to find unmolested and I’ve found one all stock for around 14. Question; is this too high? KBB has it at around 7-10,000. Looking at it today and just getting my homework done before I go. Thanks in advance for any advice

No one can answer this with any degree of accuracy without seeing photos, particularly photos of the frame and underside.

I'd suggest comparing what you see on Autotrader, Facebook Market, Craigslist and other sites. KBB hasn't really reflected the actual market price here for the last couple of years. In AZ, a stock, unmolested TJ in good condition for $14k would be a great deal assuming it's a 6 cyl X, Sahara or Sport with Dana 44 rear axle and 3.73 or better gearing - but things vary geographically. Rubicons in good condition go for upwards of $20k if unmolested out here.

You didn't mention which model of TJ. SE with the 4 cyl? Sport, X, Sahara or Rubicon with the 6 cyl? Make sure you check what axles it's got (rear Dana 35 or Dana 44) and axle ratio.

I'd suggest comparing what you see on Autotrader, Facebook Market, Craigslist and other sites. KBB hasn't really reflected the actual market price here for the last couple of years. In AZ, a stock, unmolested TJ in good condition for $14k would be a great deal assuming it's a 6 cyl X, Sahara or Sport with Dana 44 rear axle and 3.73 or better gearing - but things vary geographically. Rubicons in good condition go for upwards of $20k if unmolested out here.

You didn't mention which model of TJ. SE with the 4 cyl? Sport, X, Sahara or Rubicon with the 6 cyl? Make sure you check what axles it's got (rear Dana 35 or Dana 44) and axle ratio.

03 sport-4.0 auto all stock

Some pics- going to look at it maybe this evening

IMG_4637.png

IMG_4635.png

IMG_4634.png

Check the frame for rust inside and out. Stick your fingers inside and feel for chunks/flakes. If you have an endoscope, even better. I'd get under and look at all the control arm and other bushings; if original, they probably need to be replaced (normal wear).

Check the frame for rust inside and out. Stick your fingers inside and feel for chunks/flakes. If you have an endoscope, even better. I'd get under and look at all the control arm and other bushings; if original, they probably need to be replaced (normal wear).

Thanks bud; will do.

The Jeep turned out to be a really clean-rust free and un molested little rig. Something strange happened on the test drive however…. I realized that I may be needing some more creature comforts than what the t j affords. Thanks for the replies but I’ll probably have to let that one pass

If I may ask, what features are lacking?

I love my TJ for its lack of “stuff”. Manual transmission, manual transfer case, manual windows, manual door locks, manual HVAC controls, and an actual metal key.
Not a lot of “stuff” to fail.

Reactions: BlueC and RangerTJ
If I may ask, what features are lacking?

I love my TJ for its lack of “stuff”. Manual transmission, manual transfer case, manual windows, manual door locks, manual HVAC controls, and an actual metal key.
Not a lot of “stuff” to fail.

Features- properly functioning AC. The suspension was tired ( which I know could be remedied by a call to d p g off-road) and the tranny was kinda clunky. All of its imperfections are highly due to it being a 20 year old Jeep and I know that finding one these days that hasn’t been modded is rare. I remember my last 04 being much better, I did have allot of time and money invested in it. Or maybe the ten plus years between now and then are a bigger part of it.

Reactions: RangerTJ
if it's the original suspension & it's sagging just toss a new set of springs & shocks on and together with proper tire pressure it'll drive like a dream, this can be done for a few hundred bucks in the garage pretty easily unless you run into an upper rear shock mount bolt situation. Properly functioning air, depends on what's wrong with it. If the TJ is otherwise sound, and it looks pretty sweet in the photos, I doubt you're going to find one that needs this little amount of effort... they are all pretty old vehicles at this point

.... Or maybe the ten plus years between now and then are a bigger part of it....
Strap in for a long winded response...

TLDR: Memories are often better than realities.

I had an old 2011 Nissan Frontier that was a great truck.

Only sold it because it hit 200k.

During the vehicle supply shortages I was being offered insane money for my 2019 Ranger, like many thousands more than I paid for it.

I decided I would take the money and get a used 4x4 Frontier like I always wanted with a 4.0 and 6 speed manual.

I found one equipped EXACTLY like I was looking for and went to do the deal.

Turned out that my memory of the Frontier was much better than the actuality of the Frontier was.

I agree with @KennethS in that the appeal of the TJ is in its simplicity.

My JK had all the bells and whistles.

It was a much better car, but to me anyway, my TJ is a much better Jeep.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
If you want unmolested, especially in the south like Arkansas or TN you'll have to pay for it. The jeep looks really good. Let me ask you this, if the price was better would you buy it? If so I'd throw a number out there, give them your opinions of it and see where it goes. If you have no interest in it then just move on and keep looking. It might be a good idea to try and find a similar one if you can just to test drive and see how close it behaves vs this one and your memory of your prior jeeps like @RangerTJ mentioned.

I just paid $10k for an 03 Sahara (128k miles, worn out tires, gunk from adhesive on the hood, and light surface rust that I'll eventually get around to sanding down and painting), in Colorado.
$14k seems like a stretch, unless it drives like a dream.

But yeah, if it's "worth it" depends a lot on your own financial situation as well.