Is this too much rust?

That rust doesn't appear to be the worst, but it also doesn't appear to be the best. I'd probably pass on it (especially at that price). For that price you can get one that is almost 100% rust free if you look out of state.

Rear hinges are rusted. Common sign with a lot of salt. Something is going on with the frame in one of the pictures. There looks to be a weld going up the side of the frame, but the stock body mount is still there so I can’t figure out what’s going on. Might just be the low resolution. I’d pass.

Reactions: reddvltj
I saw the first frame picture and agreed with Chris about it not being the worst but not the best...Then I saw the second frame picture and think Chris might have not zoomed in on it. I don't know if it is a safety cap or some other brand but I'm pretty sure I see something replacing the center of that frame. It might be alright, it might be a nightmare waiting to happen. Even though my Ohio acceptance of some rust is far higher than Chris and other's, I'd pass unless I was able to see and touch and hammer on that frame. If it passed my inspection I'd offer about $7500 and let them work me up to about $8500. The rest of that Jeep looks great.

That rust doesn't appear to be the worst, but it also doesn't appear to be the best. I'd probably pass on it (especially at that price). For that price you can get one that is almost 100% rust free if you look out of state.

id pass too, frame looks suspicious. if your willing to spend that much, look out west where its dry.
my wrangler spent its life in denver
IMG_20190622_074154.jpg

the white chalky looking stuff on the frame wipes off with effort of course and the paint is beautiful below. its not perfect but there are deals waiting to be taken if you are willing to go the distance.

Reactions: Chris
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=383124409597
Newbie here in search of a Red Rubi. :) $14,900 here sounds like a steal. Looks like a bit of rust from the NY weather. I was thinking of making the trek up to take a look. Is this too much rust?

Rust isn't that bad from what you see in the pictures but who knows what they didn't show you. North Eastern vehicles are bad for having rust which is why I always undercoat my vehicles before I take ownership of them. For that amount, you can do better, but who knows maybe you can get them down on price.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Zoom in on the drain hole on the second frame picture. Looks pretty crusty in there.

I would hard pass based on the rust, price and color. Its real hard finding a minimal rust Rubicon in the tri state area, but it is possible. Heck, I found one in Connecticut. Keep searching!

Didn't expect so many responses, thank you all! I'll pass on this and keep looking. Thanks for keeping me from spending my evenings battling frame rust.
If I had to do it all over again I would be getting a tx, az or pcnw TJ...not an east coast one like I did. I got lucky and found a decent frame but every nut and bolt is a fight.

Rust free rust belt heeps can be found...

I bought mine in west Pennsyltucky and the P.O. has sprayed this awful nasty sticky undercoating everywhere. It is the bane of my existence. Every time I work on it I come out looking like I just went exploring a sewer. My tools are so gunked up I don’t bother putting them away. I have clothes I only use for working on the Jeep.

But... it worked. Everywhere it covered there is no rust to be found. Body mount bolts, shock bolts, pumped bolts all turn like butter. Paint looks brand new under the goop. Places where it was missed did rust, but those areas are small and few. So I’ve taken to applying fluid film every time I have to clean some off to work on it.

Rear hinges are rusted. Common sign with a lot of salt. Something is going on with the frame in one of the pictures. There looks to be a weld going up the side of the frame, but the stock body mount is still there so I can’t figure out what’s going on. Might just be the low resolution. I’d pass.
X2 something definitely going on with the frame in front of the ca mount...

If you are willing to drop 15k, you can find some nice ones for that.

I got a 100% rust free TJR 2004 for just under 6 out of eastern KY.
307B8C9E-3130-4A54-8A22-EF04C50F5FB2.jpeg
High miles but great shape. Couple grand in maintenance and fixing a few things and it’s awesome. 10 hour round trip to bring it home. Better deals are out there.

• Wow
Reactions: reddvltj and mots
I got a 100% rust free TJR 2004 for just under 6 out of eastern KY. View attachment 112024High miles but great shape. Couple grand in maintenance and fixing a few things and it’s awesome. 10 hour round trip to bring it home. Better deals are out there.

Nice find, congrats. Curious what is considered high mileage for the seller to sell that low? If you find another one like this, let me know! (kind of looking for my son). There are not many rust free Jeeps found up here , so something like this would easily go for 10-12k, even if it had 150k on the OD. After that though, the price would likely come down quite a bit due to trans and engine rebuild considerations etc. (if it's stock and not rebuilt already). Either way, a rust free Rubicon in good condition for that price is a steal!

I got a 100% rust free TJR 2004 for just under 6 out of eastern KY. High miles but great shape. Couple grand in maintenance and fixing a few things and it’s awesome. 10 hour round trip to bring it home. Better deals are out there.
Oh man that's a killer deal! I'm also curious about the mileage. Nice rig!