Is this used WARN VR8000 a good buy?

Ricgowan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As usual, I am coming to the fount of wisdom, hat in hand, looking for advice. I have in my sights a working WARN VR8000 winch, spooled with steel cable, for $300 (verified that the motor spins and the remote works). I understand from some quick searching that this model has a solenoid control, which is not water-resistant, and is kind of slow. Neither of these is a deal-killer for me, since I will be getting a cover for it and it will only see use once or twice a year when running the fire trails and snowmobile/offroad trails in northern Michigan. Plus, my plan is to look into replacing the solenoid with a contactor if possible.

I guess I'm looking for a chorus of "no, don't!" or "meh, sure. Why not?" along with any tips the collective intelligence might have for a newbie winch owner. Thanks!

I've got a Warn VR10000 with synthetic line that I got about 4 years ago. I've only used it a few times but I haven't had any trouble with it and I've made some pretty hard pulls. It's supposed to be inferior to the regular models but so far so good.

Reactions: Ricgowan