Issue finding correct outer left tie rod end

TrevorT

Supporting Member
Front of the jeep is on jackstands for the holiday weekend. Trying to replace the tie rod end on the left outer tie rod. I initially ordered the wrong one from Moog. I ordered the one that connects to the pitman arm. So in a pinch, I grabbed one from AutoZone, it says it’s for the outer left tie rod, but it won’t thread in. It’s almost like it’s reverse thread. Does anyone have a part number of the correct one? The duralast one is ES3094 and that’s wrong, moog has one that’s ES3094L that I’m going to order and try. Idk if it’s because it’s a 1997 or what but I can’t find any answers anywhere and it’s my daily driver so I got to get it going by Tuesday. Thanks in advance.

Also worth noting the zerk fitting is on the side of the tie rod end, not the bottom, does this mean I have a different steering system?

You sure it's an OEM bar and not something aftermarket? Pictures?

-Mac

066F39BC-698C-4271-97B9-7131D5CE8E4A.jpeg

Reactions: macleanflood
It's been a while since ive done the whole ball joint & tie rod end replacement.. but I do seem to remember one side of something was right hand thread and the other was left hand thread. Mines a 03. grease zerk for the tie rod end on the passenger side is on the side of it & 99.9% sure the drivers side its on the cap.

IMG_6217.jpeg

Reactions: TrevorT
It's been a while since ive done the whole ball joint & tie rod end replacement.. but I do seem to remember one side of something was right hand thread and the other was left hand thread. Mines a 03. grease zerk for the tie rod end on the passenger side is on the side of it & 99.9% sure the drivers side its on the cap.

View attachment 529505

Thanks. I think they just had it on backwards. Since it’s just a straight bar. I had a part delivered and will update if it works. Just a few more hours of work and I can enjoy the holiday weekend!

Yes, the entire tie rod spins to adjust. So they are opposite thread on each side.

Might be backwards as you suggested, but then it won’t thread correctly on the other end.

Thanks. I think they just had it on backwards. Since it’s just a straight bar. I had a part delivered and will update if it works. Just a few more hours of work and I can enjoy the holiday weekend!

On is right hand thread one is left, I think the tie rod is on backwards. The moog with the L should be the left hand thread

Update, the part number ES3095R worked. Taking it to a shop on Tuesday and getting an alignment done and seeing if they will check everything else and make sure the PO didn’t have anything else messed up

Reactions: John Cooper
Update, the part number ES3095R worked. Taking it to a shop on Tuesday and getting an alignment done and seeing if they will check everything else and make sure the PO didn’t have anything else messed up

Thats all good, but you can learn on this forum how to do a “Home Alignment. toe in” and then align your steering wheel which is easy.

All good to have a shop do it, but ther deatails to learn it are here