Issue with 2003 TJ multi-function switch and high beams

rjinaz86323

Grasslands of Arizona
Supporting Member
Seems my MFS switch is bad. I can pull back on it and the brights come on, but when I let go they turn off. I have heard there are tabs that wear out and cause this. Can those tabs be fixed or do I need a new MFS?

Thx
Rick

I had the opposite problem where my brights wouldn't go off. I found a shorted wire in the plug wiring at the headlight. During the trouble shooting i had ordered a "Standard Motor Products DS-990 Turn Signal Switch" from Amazon. That part is being returned to Amazon, it blew the MFSW 20Amp fuse under the hood as soon as it was attached. Might be a one off issue or not but it only complicated my troubleshooting.

I had the opposite problem where my brights wouldn't go off. I found a shorted wire in the plug wiring at the headlight. During the trouble shooting i had ordered a "Standard Motor Products DS-990 Turn Signal Switch" from Amazon. That part is being returned to Amazon, it blew the MFSW 20Amp fuse under the hood as soon as it was attached. Might be a one off issue or not but it only complicated my troubleshooting.
Sorry.. should have said that was listed as MFS, not just turn signal switch..

You might want to take a close look at the connector that plugs into the multifunction switch. They are known to
Become brittle. The pins will become loose in the connector, causing poor connection and somtimes intermittent issues with headlights fog lights and blinkers. I too thought it was my MFS, when I went to install the new one the wire harness crumbled. I was carful to keep the wires all in the same arrangement. I replaced mine with a Doorman unit found on Amazon. I then returned the new MFS 👍🏻

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPPQZ6Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: DaddyZSmith