Issue with starting

DCDoes

2005 TJ Unlimited Rubicon: After a weekend of wheeling I ran a few errands and then parked in my driveway. Couple hours later I head out again and when I turn the key to crank the engine, I blow the ignition fuse. This only occurs when I turn the key to crank. Also, it is intermittent. Once in a while it will start. Sometimes I can cycle off and on a few times, other times it's one crank and then the second time the fuse blows.
I have replaced the ignition fuses and starter relay
I bypassed the fuse/relay and the starter cranks fine. Tried it about 20 times.
I pulled the starter and had it tested just to be safe - it tested fine.
I have NOT replaced the ignition switch yet - mainly because I don't have the right size torx with the security hole.
I am about to reach the end of my capabilities when it comes to auto electrical troubleshooting.

I did find one thing wrong with the electrical to the starter. The attached picture is of the wire that activates the starter. You can see that there is a good bit of copper exposed.

In all my internet searches I can not find a replacement connector for that wire. Any thoughts?

Also, what other low hanging fruit can I try before I take it into the shop?
IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

One time and I would be looking for a problem. That is a LOT of energy shorting out. I'm surprised you haven't blown computers and relays all over the place! Check EVERY wire. EVERY ground connection. With a multimeter too. Who knows how many wires are half burned inside their covering. Count yourself luck you haven't burned the Jeep up. Not trying to bash you, but geesh, you've been lucky.

Hey OP, did you ever figure this problem out? I have the EXACT same symptoms with my 05 Rubicon.
I threw in the towel and took the Jeep to a local shop that had a lot of issues troubleshooting electric issues. It took them a whole hour and a half to find it. Apparently, the PO had replaced the battery right before I purchased the Jeep with a Walmart special. The batteries physical dimensions were a little too large and the battery rubbed raw one of the looms to the PCM. They taped it all back up and I threw in an Optima and no issues.
Check your PCM connections. If the connections lose contact you get all sorts of squirrelly issues

I threw in the towel and took the Jeep to a local shop that had a lot of issues troubleshooting electric issues. It took them a whole hour and a half to find it. Apparently, the PO had replaced the battery right before I purchased the Jeep with a Walmart special. The batteries physical dimensions were a little too large and the battery rubbed raw one of the looms to the PCM. They taped it all back up and I threw in an Optima and no issues.
Check your PCM connections. If the connections lose contact you get all sorts of squirrelly issues

Nice. Glad you were able to get it back to 100% again. Yeah the next day I just kept it simple and isolated the problem areas to places that endure alot of heat, and...areas where I've been working the most. After ruling out no melted connections or looms, I looked at the loom running vertical, and parallel to the inside edge of the PCM. The loom rubbed against the AC hose clamp closest to the firewall just enough to expose a thread of wire leading to the PDC (explaining the continuous popping of ignition switch fuses). I wrapped the loom with electrical tape, put a loom casing over it, and zip tied it up to prevent excessive movement. No problems since then, and that was 3 weeks ago.

Nice. Glad you were able to get it back to 100% again. Yeah the next day I just kept it simple and isolated the problem areas to places that endure alot of heat, and...areas where I've been working the most. After ruling out no melted connections or looms, I looked at the loom running vertical, and parallel to the inside edge of the PCM. The loom rubbed against the AC hose clamp closest to the firewall just enough to expose a thread of wire leading to the PDC (explaining the continuous popping of ignition switch fuses). I wrapped the loom with electrical tape, put a loom casing over it, and zip tied it up to prevent excessive movement. No problems since then, and that was 3 weeks ago.
That's awesome! Congrats on tracking it down