Issues after Exhaust Manifold/Gasket Replacement

Steven

Recently replaced my exhaust manifold and gasket, and had zero issues initially. It started to smoke on the first start but I'm assuming it was because I used silicone lubricant to help get the fuel rail/injectors in (It cleared after about 5 minutes). After driving for 50 or so kilometers I started to get some misfires, mainly in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd when the Jeep is warm. No CEL either but a strong smell of gasoline? On idle I started to hear a high pitch squeal every now and then, however after letting the Jeep sit for a little, I turned her back on and no noise. Also the most noticeable thing is the idle, before letting it sit, it seemed to have trouble just sitting without sputtering but never enough to stall or turn off (I've never had any issues regarding rough idle before hand, or any issues regarding any sensors at all).

My question is, would the misfires be from the injectors/fuel rail not being seated correctly? Everything worked fine before the exhaust manifold replacement and I'm confident that I put the wires correctly during the reinstall. I replaced the O-ring's on the injector (engine block) side for safe measures and can't think of any other possibilities regarding these issues.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
I'm sure they're seated correctly, if they weren't wouldn't the RPM's idle high? and the vacuum leak would be louder I believe. I didn't experience any issues while driving for about an hour or so.

I guess I'll just have to carefully take everything apart and slowly put it back together. I took an extended period of time fitting the intake and exhaust manifold before tightening the bolts but had difficulty placing the injectors back into the block.