Issues separating engine from transmission

Bkspear

TJ Enthusiast
I am pulling my engine (2.4L) and having issues getting it to separate from the transmission. I have all the bolts out from the bell housing to the engine, but when I jack up the engine hoist it doesn’t seem to separate. Any advice? Thanks.

Even the teeniest/tiniest upward or downward force on where the transmission alignment pins are between the transmission and engine will prevent separation of the two. A sixteenth of an inch of jack height on the transmission can make it a go or no-go separation. I've had it where just the slightest barely perceptible change in jack height made it happen. It's the alignment pins holding it and friction/force on them will cause them to hang up instead of pulling out.

Same thing when bolting the transmission back to the engine. And don't try to pull it together with the bolts if they don't want to pull together, that can strip out the threads in the block. Same process with it... a tiny up or down adjustment will make all the difference.

Reactions: Chris and Bkspear
not sure if the 2.4 has them but on my 4.0 i fought separating them for a good half hour only to realize I forgot 2 13mm coarse threaded bolts (more like a wood screw) on the engine side on the spacer plate that is sandwiched between the two. they are about half way up or just a little more from the bottom of the bell housing to the top on each side.

as jerry stated though. up down alignment is key. it needs to be even and pulled straight back with a little wiggling.

Even the teeniest/tiniest upward or downward force on where the transmission alignment pins are between the transmission and engine will prevent separation of the two. A sixteenth of an inch of jack height on the transmission can make it a go or no-go separation. I've had it where just the slightest barely perceptible change in jack height made it happen. It's the alignment pins holding it and friction/force on them will cause them to hang up instead of pulling out.

Same thing when bolting the transmission back to the engine. And don't try to pull it together with the bolts if they don't want to pull together, that can strip out the threads in the block. Same process with it... a tiny up or down adjustment will make all the difference.
Thank you for the info. This is probably why its not coming out, they are definitely not level at the moment. I'll have to reset, get them straight level and try again tomorrow. Thanks agan.

They don't have to level, the transmission just needs to be kept perfectly lined up with the engine so the positioning pins don't bind.

They don't have to level, the transmission just needs to be kept perfectly lined up with the engine.
ok. In the process of trying to get the engine out, it seems to have tilted to the left some, would this cause issues as well?

not sure if the 2.4 has them but on my 4.0 i fought separating them for a good half hour only to realize I forgot 2 13mm coarse threaded bolts (more like a wood screw) on the engine side on the spacer plate that is sandwiched between the two. they are about half way up or just a little more from the bottom of the bell housing to the top on each side.

as jerry stated though. up down alignment is key. it needs to be even and pulled straight back with a little wiggling.
The 2.5 uses those as well and yes they are easy to overlook..they are like a giant coarse thread sheet metal screw

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

I don’t see how there could be any bolts left. I can see the flywheel. Photos attached are the current state.
03E48291-5414-4FFF-9567-EA1FCD743827.jpeg

3D6B4E6B-ED79-470C-9842-E22AF0A8F049.jpeg

Update - I noticed the engine was tilting up in the front, used the leveler attached to the hoist and once it was more even, it separated from the trans. Thanks again for your guys advice.

Reactions: L J