It's about time

Semper_Fi13

Well the Novak AX15 swap is about to commence this weekend. Swapping the NV3550 to the new and improved AX15.
I also bought
Oil pan seal
Valve cover gasket
All 7 u-joints
Input seal for transfer case
Pinion seal for rear def
Oil and oil filter

We are going to attempt to get it all done in a day and 1/2 . Thank God my buddy has been turning wrenches for 20 plus years and knows what’s he is doing lol. Also hop I only have to replace a couple u joints and not all 7

3AE31F79-37BE-4BB2-A693-609FF4086B8C.jpeg

Reactions: Jamison C
Well the Novak AX15 swap is about to commence this weekend. Swapping the NV3550 to the new and improved AX15.
I also bought
Oil pan seal
Valve cover gasket
All 7 u-joints
Input seal for transfer case
Pinion seal for rear def
Oil and oil filter

We are going to attempt to get it all done in a day and 1/2 . Thank God my buddy has been turning wrenches for 20 plus years and knows what’s he is doing lol. Also hop I only have to replace a couple u joints and not all 7

View attachment 316073
It will all go very nicely until you have to break out the welder to get the pilot bearing bushing out and then it can really suck.

Reactions: pc1p
It will all go very nicely until you have to break out the welder to get the pilot bearing bushing out and then it can really suck.
My pilot bearing bushing has been stuck deep in the crank forever. I just end up changing the bearing portion itself when I'm in there. I would love to pull the whole thing out like it's supposed to be but without welding capabilities I don't really see how that's possible.

My pilot bearing bushing has been stuck deep in the crank forever. I just end up changing the bearing portion itself when I'm in there. I would love to pull the whole thing out like it's supposed to be but without welding capabilities I don't really see how that's possible.
That's easy. Drill and tap it two places opposite, put a bar across and then make a simple puller.

I had one that I built a hydraulic pusher for that I could use with an electric grease gun. Jacked it right out.
I remember the "what is this and what's it for" game a while back. I don't have an electric grease gun or I'd be asking to borrow said tool for when I do my manual to auto swap...

For those of us who can’t weld, I rented a slide hammer from O’Reily’s. The pilot bearing was easy but the bushing was a straight ten minutes of pounding. Had to clamp those jaws so tight I thought they would break but eventually the bushing gave and came out.

For those of us who can’t weld, I rented a slide hammer from O’Reily’s. The pilot bearing was easy but the bushing was a straight ten minutes of pounding. Had to clamp those jaws so tight I thought they would break but eventually the bushing gave and came out.

Mine is basically in the crank as far as it will go. I cranked the puller jaws super tight trying to wedge it back there but I got nowhere with it. Did not budge the adapter bushing at all. Ended up just removing the needle bearing from the Mopar bearing and installed that into the old adapter bearing.

FWIW, I have used the grease technique on a CJ-5. It did work but it made an awful mess. It really helped to get a punch the was almost the same size as the opening. Lately, pilot bearings haven't been as much of a problem. Slide hammer with the jaws has worked.