It's been a while, here's some general questions that need answering

4 banger TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Wow, it's been a while since I've even visited the forum. That probably means that things were going well with my jeep! I have three general questions about my 97' 5 speed 4 cylinder TJ.

First of all, if this is a weird way to ask questions, I can make three different posts if that makes more sense. Just let me know. If this works, great!

1. I put new wheels on my jeep a couple months ago, and ever since then I've had death wobble at 40-50 mph. Sometimes I feel a slight vibration at 55, but it never exceeds into full on death wobble. To be honest, I'm kind of used to it by now, but I certainly need to get it checked out. I know that usually it is a result of poorly balanced wheels, but I've had them balanced twice since the wheels have been put on. Once when they were originally mounted, and second was a couple weeks ago. Regardless, I still have vibrations and death wobble. Does anyone have a possible answer?

2. Frame rust. It's not terrible, but it's not looking good in a lot of places. I'd love to be able to take a few weeks to get in cleaned up real nice, but I don't have the money, or the time for that. I daily my Jeep, and I have for almost a year and a half now. I can't afford to have it out of commission for more than a weekend at a time, I have places to be! One other issue is that I'd like to get the job done before snow starts falling here in Minnesota, that way I can minimize the rust damage to the frame. Is there a relatively quick and non-expensive way to tackle the rust by myself?

3. Finally, I have noticed a very small puddle of oil underneath the jeep when I park it for a while. I've tried my best to find out where it's coming from, but I really don't know. I keep regularly checking the oil, but it's not losing any according to the dipstick, so it's a super slow leak. I'm a big car guy, but I'm no mechanic, so could anyone help me pinpoint where the leak might be coming from? Is it anything that I should be very concerned about?

Okay, that's everything. (For now)

Once again, any help would be much appreciated, and if it would make more sense for me to make 3 separate posts for each problem, I'll do that as well. That's all for today, and I'll see you around!

Your tire issue still sounds like an imperfectly balanced tire but it doesn't sound like you're actually experiencing true OMG Death Wobble. If you're having the same tire shop re-balance them, try someone else more used to balancing bigger tires like our Jeeps run... like a 4x4 shop that sells, mounts, and balances tires.

For the slow leak, could be a leaky rear main seal. If you're running a synthetic engine oil, know that engines tend to leak more with synthetics. If you're running a synthetic, try switching to a good high-mileage CONVENTIONAL engine oil like Mopar Super 10W-30. Caution that you're looking for the conventional version of Mopar Super because it also comes in a full synthetic and a blended synthetic/conventional. My BMW had a leak from the rear man seal and switching to the 10W-30 Mobil Super conventional cured the leak in a couple days. The recommended Mobil Super has an extra dose of seal conditioners that can help restore the engine seals that can shrink with synthetic engine oils.

You do what you want with some of the above ....

But in the real world you either have a leak or you don't.
Switching liquids MIGHT and I stress MIGHT slow a leak...but your seals are either sealed or not. Partially sealed isn't sealed...is it?

Your tires...and wheels. You say new wheels. What is different about them vs your old ones? Width? Funky ghetto wheels with massive spokes?

Why might you ask am I askimg....well a different wheel with different specs will change the contact patch dynamic of your old tires. Im assuming you only changed wheels.
Some if those crazy wheels I've seen come out of the box ridiculously imbalanced.

Make sure your shop balances the wheels first....the re-spin them with the tire on.

Lastly the dynamic change with your new wheel/old tire combo couod be creating havoc on your track bar if its suspect.

Your oil leak. Look between transmission and oil pan. Do you have oil? Yes? If so verify your valve cover isnt leaking from the back side...(mirror). If its dry from your head to the oil pan your rear main/oil pan gasket is going.

If no leak back there look between the harmonic balancer and oil pan. See oil? Yes...? Make sure your oil isn't coming down from the front vslve cover.

If those check ok...i assure you crawling under the jeep and looking around you'll find the trail of oil.

That whole synthetic vs non is ridiculous. Oil is still a liquid. You're either sealed or not. Might a thicker oil slow your leak down? I stress M A Y B E. I big MAYBE. But you're still leaking.

Don't pour any of that stop leak horseshit in it. You'll do more harm than good.

Good luck.