I've graduated

Queticon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This weekend I finally got the opportunity to put all the suspension stuff in the Moose. All that stuff in boxes I've been shuffling around and stepping over for the past year is now in the jeep.

I thought I was mechanically inclined. I thought I was good at turning wrenches. I've done my share of armchair mechanic-ing. But this effort took me down a peg or two.

Nothing outrageous. 4" coil springs, fixed lower control arms, shocks, steering stabilizer, adjustable front track bar, new rear sway bar links. A good friend loaned me their garage. At 10:00 a.m. I started.

16 hours I rolled out. That's 2:00 a.m. That was a kind of tired I haven't had in a long time. Hands are still shot. Phone doesn't recognize my fingerprints. My quads are killing me. Knees are pretty much nonexistent.

Results are mediocre. Ride is about the same as the OME 2 1/2". Steering is a bit floaty. I think I know what the problem is. Of course, the wheel is not centered. Looks like that's a fairly easy fix. Slight driveline vibration. I have ordered adjustable upper control arms for the rear to see if that will help. Also thought I'd ended up with sag-ass, but then realized I still had all my tools and crap (including a lift) in the back. After all that, I may go back to the OME lift. We shall see. Maybe I just need a better pic.

My friend has a lot of wrenching experience. He would check in on me once in a while, usually finding me stuck. Then he'd step in and fix it in about 30 seconds. When we were done, I said, "This was humbling. Didn't realize I was such a mechanical idiot." He replied, "well, now you've graduated...To novice idiot"

Soon I'll remember it was actually a lot of fun and it has taken so much mystery out of the suspension system for me.
07135ffd-4b29-4018-a327-d06db64be78c.jpg

d349dc45-48a3-4074-b04c-403cb42d8dfa.jpg

I'm getting old enough to start hating working on cars, but there is something satisfying after doing it, especially if it was a success, unlike me with my tranny mount this weekend, but at least the new tranny pan and gasket seemed to have stopped my persistent leak, so my weekend was 50/50 success and fail.

Good job, and it won't be your last.

I'm getting old enough to start hating working on cars, but there is something satisfying after doing it, especially if it was a success, unlike me with my tranny mount this weekend, but at least the new tranny pan and gasket seemed to have stopped by persistent leak, so my weekend was 50/50 success and fail.

Good job, and it won't be your last.

I hear ya.

The Friday before I did this, I had a local shop replace the oil pan gasket and RMS. I'm $400 lighter, but when the mechanic commented, "that was a tough job, those exhaust bolts were really rusted on there."

Yeah. Hard pass. Same with my front axle seals when that time comes (soon).

Reactions: Fonz54 and 89grand
I hear ya.

The Friday before I did this, I had a local shop replace the oil pan gasket and RMS. I'm $400 lighter, but when the mechanic commented, "that was a tough job, those exhaust bolts were really rusted on there."

Yeah. Hard pass. Same with my front axle seals when that time comes (soon).
I've done the oil pan drop and RMS, it isn't fun, even in AZ with no rust. I replaced my tranny pan and gasket Saturday, and while doing it, I noticed my tranny mount was shot. The shitty auto parts store mounts are super stiff, and I have a lot of vibration when stopped, and tried to fix it today with no success. I ordered a Mopar one, and will have to drop the PITA skid again. Oh well, it's only time and aggravation.

Congrats on getting it done!

I'm only 36, but with three young kids, I dread working on the cars these days. I've gotten so lazy that in most cases I would rather just take it to a shop now. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that when I do have free time, I'd rather spend it doing something else. Maybe when the kids are all grown up and moved out, but by then I'll probably want to be taking vacations and relaxing :ROFLMAO:

I'm only 36, but with three young kids, I dread working on the cars these days. I've gotten so lazy that in most cases I would rather just take it to a shop now. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that when I do have free time, I'd rather spend it doing something else. Maybe when the kids are all grown up and moved out, but by then I'll probably want to be taking vacations and relaxing :ROFLMAO:

In 20 years here's what you'll have to look forward to:
if your kids get involved in anything and stick with it, THAT's what you'll be spending time on. We've got 20 years in soccer. :D
And I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Still have one kid in the house so we are still deep into it (volleyball with this one). Last year I went back to school. Done this spring. Man, what a time suck. Plus, my other jeep is a 34' sailboat on Lake Superior. Plus plus, our house is almost 100 years old and it's finally showing its age. So, we didn't really get to spend any down time on our boat this past summer as we were working on the house.

Lots of things to get in the way of a Jeep build. Dream retirement would be a fully equipped shop with a lift and every power tool conceivable. I would only work on cars that don't have any rust, aren't leaking oil, aren't clapped out busted or broken beyond any hope of resurrection.
Which means I'll have a beautiful, empty shop with tools perfectly organized that I'll never touch. ;)

These days the Jeep is therapy.

The trick is getting the kids involved. My 4 yr old loves to "help" by holding a wrench, getting coffee, or whatever.

All the sudden, Jeep work becomes family time.

and who knows- maybe it will instill a love of mechanical things in her.

Reactions: Fonz54

With the advent of the electric car wrench turning is going to change, possibly to almost non existent so enjoy the jeeps and wrenches while these combustion engines are still around.

Reactions: Chris
"Hey honey, you want to come help me in the garage?"
"Sure!"

30 seconds later...

"I'm bored" <leaves>

Reactions: Hog
I've done the oil pan drop and RMS, it isn't fun, even in AZ with no rust. I replaced my tranny pan and gasket Saturday, and while doing it, I noticed my tranny mount was shot. The shitty auto parts store mounts are super stiff, and I have a lot of vibration when stopped, and tried to fix it today with no success. I ordered a Mopar one, and will have to drop the PITA skid again. Oh well, it's only time and aggravation.

I'm glad to hear (sorry) that you are having the same symptoms as I have been. I replaced the skid plate on my Jeep, and while I was at it, figured I may as well put in a new trans mount. I just grabbed one from NAPA on my way home after work, rather than ordering one, and I too, have that crazy vibration at idle. The skid plate I replaced mine with is a Barnes 4WD piece that isn't significantly higher than stock, but it is smooth on the bottom, but I was worried that it had raised the trans just enough to be causing the vibes. I've been considering a different mount, to see if it is the source of the problem. Your situation is enough to convince me to give it a shot. So, at least know you won't be the only one wresting that chunk of steel again. :)

The trick is getting the kids involved. My 4 yr old loves to "help" by holding a wrench, getting coffee, or whatever.

All the sudden, Jeep work becomes family time.

and who knows- maybe it will instill a love of mechanical things in her.

I've tried with the girls, but they don't seem to care whatsoever. Hoping I can eventually change that!

My grown daughters never really got interested in wrenching. My youngest will change her own oil when needed, sometimes well after the appointed time frame. I stopped watchdogging that. I do a lot of woodwork and other than requesting something be built, no interest in that either. If at some point I am no longer able to do woodwork I'll likely just sell all the tools to clear the garage for who knows what? I have a lot of tools.....it's a condition I think to always be buying more tools but it's better than drugs or lots of alcohol.

Reactions: Queticon
Flash back to my early 20’s

Friend: “Hey, we’re going camping and jeeping tonight, wanna help me put on a new lift and tires and SYE before we leave in a few hours?”

Me: “ Sure”

Fast forward to me now in my mid 40’s

Me: “I should do an oil change before I head out jeepin in 5 days”

Also Me: “ Meh, that’s cutting it close, I’ll do it when I get back”

This all sounds so familiar .

Hanging out in the garage with kids and buddies can be great , and there is a sense of accomplishment .

At the same time , as you get older , statistically you earn more , and there can be a tendency to pay a shop so you have time/ energy to do what makes you more money .

I'm in the middle - we have a great local shop , but it's not convenient to get the Jeep there , so if it's servicing it or something within my grasp , I do it or pay a nice young mechanic /friend very fairly to help or keep me from messing up. He's a whiz with delicate stuff. Honestly I hate to let go of it for days on end .

Part of the whole deal can be increasing your skills , but there is wisdom in knowing where to draw the line also.

...there is wisdom in knowing where to draw the line also.

hells yeah.

I can say that I have progressively tackled more and more difficult stuff. But I know the stuff I don't want to touch. I'm willing to bet installing my lift was "harder" than the oil pan gasket and RMS. But a screwed up oil pan gasket would be way more PITA than a broken sway bar link bolt ;)

hells yeah.

I can say that I have progressively tackled more and more difficult stuff. But I know the stuff I don't want to touch. I'm willing to bet installing my lift was "harder" than the oil pan gasket and RMS. But a screwed up oil pan gasket would be way more PITA than a broken sway bar link bolt ;)
Well said . When I see guys tackle a regear that don't seem to grasp the challenges , I'm always wondering if they realize the penalty for failure. That has to be considered at times.

Well said . When I see guys tackle a regear that don't seem to grasp the challenges , I'm always wondering if they realize the penalty for failure. That has to be considered at times.

I usually consider worst case and work back from that ;)

Reactions: AndyG