Japanese import finally arrived

How long does that MOT thing take that y'all have to do? It's pretty thorough?
Never actually watched on (you are entitled to watch if you want) but it can’t be that thorough as the maximum charge is set by law at £54.85.

If you fail then you can either leave the car at the same shop to be fixed, or take it elsewhere but then have to pay the fee again. Of course there are shops who make sure they find some work needing doing every time - but that’s a bad strategy as customers vote with their feet. Conversely the one I use very rarely finds more than 'advisories' i.e. Things which are OK but might not be by next year.

Where you will definitely have trouble is if you fail the emissions test. But recently they introduced a rule that warning lights must not be showing and equipment fitted must work... so lots of people remove things for the MOT.

Reactions: Ephry73
The title of the thread says Japanese import.
They adopted the British way of driving on the wrong side of the road.
USA started out driving on the left, some counties including US swapped from left to right overnight?
It doesn't really matter what side the driver is until you drive a RHD manual it just makes too much sense but the French just wouldn't have it :)

How long does that MOT thing take that y'all have to do? It's pretty thorough?
It’s pretty strict and pretty prescriptive..they’ve tightened it up now so if it passes then structurally it is pretty ok and all steering / braking / suspension / electrical / emission systems are working at least to an acceptable and legal standard..

As a child I had a small stamp collection including a commemorative stamp for 'Nigeria drives right'.
As do

Oceania

• Australia
  • Christmas Island
  • Cocos (Keeling) Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Fiji
  • Kiribati
  • Nauru
  • New Zealand
  • Niue
  • Norfolk Island
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Solomon Islands
  • Samoa
  • Tokelau
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
Asia

• Bangladesh
  • Bhutan
  • Brunei
  • East Timor
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia
  • India
  • Japan
  • Macao
  • Malaysia
  • Nepal
  • Pakistan
  • Singapore
  • Sri Lanka
  • Thailand
Africa

• Botswana
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Malawi
  • Mauritius
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • South Africa
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Uganda
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe
Europe

• Akrotiri and Dhekelia
  • Cyprus
  • Guernsey
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Jersey
  • Malta
  • United Kingdom
South America

• Guyana
  • Suriname
Caribbean Basin

• Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbados
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Jamaica
  • Montserrat
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
Other Islands

• Bermuda
  • Falkland Islands
  • Maldives
  • Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha
  • Seychelles
  • South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands

USA started out driving on the left, some counties including US swapped from left to right overnight?
It doesn't really matter what side the driver is until you drive a RHD manual it just makes too much sense but the French just wouldn't have it :)
I agree on this shifting gears in RHD is more convenient and natural.

I agree on this shifting gears in RHD is more convenient and natural.
Keeps your dominant hand (most people) on the wheel at all times and the left hand change with the left foot clutch is just natural! I am still to master the TJ blinkers and windshield wipers lol In Australia they are reversed so I keep putting the wipers on when I turn :(

Strangest thing going around a Round about the wrong way in USA! San Diego has plenty but they call them some strange name on the sat nav voice I cant remember lol
For our USA friends Round a Bouts are everywhere in UK and Australia and work perfect because they are a self controlled intersection by design without the need for traffic lights stop sighs or Yield signs :)! USA used to have lots of them, they done away with them and are now re introducing them! Sort of like a clock or record going around the wrong way lol

Strangest thing going around a Round about the wrong way in USA! San Diego has plenty but they call them some strange name on the sat nav voice I cant remember lol
For our USA friends Round a Bouts are everywhere in UK and Australia and work perfect because they are a controlled intersection by design without the need for traffic lights stop sighs or Yield signs :)! USA used to have lots of them, they done away with them and are now re introducing them! Sort of like a clock or record going around the wrong way lol
Nana, the steering wheel is either on the right side or the wrong side ;o)
I think you meant Na? Na! not Nana lol

For our USA friends Round a Bouts are everywhere in UK and Australia and work perfect because they are a self controlled intersection by design without the need for traffic lights stop sighs or Yield signs :)! USA used to have lots of them, they done away with them and are now re introducing them! Sort of like a clock or record going around the wrong way lol
The problem here in the states is that round a bouts work kinda like an IQ test and ....well.... Most Americans fail. Drive right up and stop like it's a light or stop sign 🤦‍♂️

Not sure what else they would call them but I've never known them as anything but a roundabout.

San Diego has plenty but they call them some strange name on the sat nav voice I cant remember lol
Not sure what else they would call them but I've never known them as anything but a roundabout.
Any measure to slow traffic is called ‘Traffic Calming’. Kalifornia likes to be in charge, but in subtle “PC” ways.

• Haha
Reactions: PNW Lj