Jeep 4.0L cam question

Don’t think it would be worth it unless you’re rebuilding anyway. I had a broken piston skirt so I pulled the motor and had it bored .030 over new forged pistons and a new comp cam. Runs great.

Reactions: KCsTJ
This is a subject where there are lots of very different opinions. Most recommend against the camshaft upgrade based on estimated performance improvement vs cost of installation. I would suggest you have a clear expectation of what you want from your engine before you proceed with purchase and installation of a new camshaft. You won't find much information supporting a camshaft swap online.

Installed new performance camshaft in my Jeep about 6 months ago and love the performance. Haven't had the Jeep on a dyno but definitely performs better after installation. There are a number of camshaft choices out there so you will need to do your homework before purchasing. Other upgrades may be required during installation based on camshaft selected. Can't provide you with a specific HP gain number but performance gains are noticeable.

This is a subject where there are lots of very different opinions. Most recommend against the camshaft upgrade based on estimated performance improvement vs cost of installation. I would suggest you have a clear expectation of what you want from your engine before you proceed with purchase and installation of a new camshaft. You won't find much information supporting a camshaft swap online.

Installed new performance camshaft in my Jeep about 6 months ago and love the performance. Haven't had the Jeep on a dyno but definitely performs better after installation. There are a number of camshaft choices out there so you will need to do your homework before purchasing. Other upgrades may be required during installation based on camshaft selected. Can't provide you with a specific HP gain number but performance gains are noticeable.
can you post sounds of your Jeep in idle?

Another upgrade is to use the 5.7 hemi valves on a 7120/0630 head, you can still use the bee hive springs and retainers but you get a larger intake and exhaust valve without any fancy work at the machine shop trying to find retainers, springs and keepers. Small block chevy valves are definately not a option, I spent $589 on pontiac springs, oldsmobile retainers and some wierd ford lock to run 1.94/1.6 valves.

You can also use a cam with a wide lobe separation angle. Fuel injection likes the wide LSA, it gives better response to the sensors. You also need to match the cam and fuel injectors. There is a calculator over on the jeep strokers website or even the microsquirt one that bases the number of cylinders and the HP will give you the correct injector rate based on system fuel pressure.

Tim