"Jeep Air" kit problem on 05 TJ

Howella66442

I purchased a 05 4.0l tj Jeepair.com kit and have installed the evaporator. I put the new control head on and only have ventilation to defrost. I put the old control head (non ac) back on and all settings work. Jeep air sent me a new control Halladay but the same is happening. What would be different with the new (ac Control head vs the old one? Any specific thing I should be looking at?

I purchased a 05 4.0l tj Jeepair.com kit and have installed the evaporator. I put the new control head on and only have ventilation to defrost. I put the old control head (non ac) back on and all settings work. Jeep air sent me a new control Halladay but the same is happening. What would be different with the new (ac Control head vs the old one? Any specific thing I should be looking at?
I'm not familiar with that kit at all, but defrost is the default setting when there's a problem with the controls. Everything is vacuum-actuated in this system, can you post up some pics of the new controller compared to the old one? Specifically the back where everything connects?

Unfortunately I don't think very many people are familiar with this kit. However, I hope someone who is will see this and chime in.

I would get on the phone with Jeep-air they should stand by the product, just be properly versed with the issues.

I sent them an email and they sent me a new control head. They said it must be a vacuum leak. I will take a photo of the back of both control heads here in a little bit. I don't see any difference in the two.

Out of curiosity did the kit come with new vacuum lines to reroute? Looks like the vacuum circuits in out TJs are different between Heater Only and Heat-A/C:

1617293705522.png

1617293653631.png

So like I said before I don't have any experience with this kit or installing AC in general to a heater-only TJ, but if I had to guess based on your manual I'd say you need a difference vacuum harness, or the vacuum lines need to be rerouted.

Look at my post above with the vacuum diagrams, that a representation of the harness & where they go to the different actuators & vacuum ports. For example, port G on heater only model isn't used, on the AC model it goes to the recirc door actuator (which you don't have). Also ports D/F on the heater only model go to the same actuator, but they don't on the AC model.

I don't know if this kit is designed to work with a heater only vacuum harness, but in any case the system will default to defrost whenever there's a vacuum leak or something isn't hooked up right in the vacuum circuits.

This is all out of your manual BTW, you can head over to the TJ Resources sub forum & get yourself a free copy. The AC/heater control section starts on page 24-16

According to the website there are no modifications required for the installation, but there are several kits available for the different years of vehicle production. The 05-06 TJ kit is PN CK-050640.
Just ensure the manufacturer sent the proper kit.

Checked the part number and it's good. Just got an email back from the jeepair rep and they say there is no vacuum adapter and that it should be plug and play.

Also one more thing, the part # on the back of that new unit they sent you isn't in your '05 parts catalog. The parts catalog lists 55056558AA, the label on the back of the one you have is 55056558AB. Dunno if that matters or not but it's worth bringing that and the vacuum routing difference to the company that makes the kit.

1617299634397.png