Jeep bounces violently---PLEASE HELP!!

kenman1094

Ok first just want to say I did my reading, and I feel as I may be making some headway, but I am still a bit lost.
First off- 06 tj, 6 spd, 6" RC lift (Please don't hate LOL), 35's
Recently had my shop, fairly reputable, install a used Dana 44.
When driving any speed above 15 mph if I hit a bump WHILE ON THE GAS I get CRAZY axle hop in the rear. It gets so bad I need to almost come to a complete stop before starting to move again. BUT, if I let off the gas as I hit the bump or coast over the bump, it will be fine unless its a really bad pothole.
I was thinking maybe the pinion angle of the rear isn't set correctly? Maybe I'm out of alignment? Bad bushings? Did I buy a Dana 44 with bad axles? Wheel bearing? Loose transmission or t-case?
I know there probably isn't a straight answer to my issue but if you guys could point me in any kind of direction that would be great!

Side note, I noticed the rear springs have a bow in them, as they aren't exactly straight up and down. I noticed this when I had my Dana 35, but I never had an issue like this before.

A few questions:

1) Is their a drop pitman arm in the front?
2) Whats the condition of your control arm bushings (front and rear)?
3) What's the condition of your track bar bushings (front and rear)?

My money is on one or more of those things.

Reactions: Stanley
Thanks for the quick reply guys!
1. There is a drop Pitman arm.
2,3. What's the best way to check for bad bushings? Jack it up?

I've had axle hop off road when climbing hills but never on the road. Are you sure it's axle hop and not something else?

Almost sounds as if something is loose.

Which RC kit did you get and what parts included? (pls take it off! lol)

If this started after the 44 install then I'd take it back to them and ask them to figure it out.

Thanks for the quick reply guys!
1. There is a drop Pitman arm.

Get rid of your drop pitman arm and find a stock one, you don't need it unless you also have a drop track bar bracket, which is unlikely. Your drag link and track bar need to be parallel. That is definitely part of your problem. I would also bet on control arm bushings or track bar bushings. Your front track bar you can check by doing a dry steering test while having someone watch and Feel for ANY movement. To check your control arm bushings you have to remove them and inspect the bushings. Same with the rear track bar.

That drop pitman arm is a HUGE no no, that's likely part of the problem right there. You need to get that off there ASAP and put the stock pitman arm back on.

As for the bushings, you should be able to visually inspect them. Is the rubber work, cracked and falling apart!

A dropped Pitman arm was a bad thing to install, it will cause bump steer. But bump steer has nothing to do with the problem you're experiencing that started happening after the Dana 44 was installed. It's hard to say what is happening without inspecting how the axle was installed and driving it, I can only suggest you take it back to the shop and tell them it's not right.

A lot depends on the type of Dana 44 they installed. If it was originally also on a Wrangler TJ like you own, it should bolt up without problem. If it was on a different non-TJ, they would have had to convert it by welding new brackets onto it which is easy to screw up.

But I would just take it in and take the shop guy for a ride to show him the issue, then tell him to fix it.

I agree with Jerry's advice. However, make sure you remove that dropped pitman arm. That's one of the worst rookie mistakes someone can make on a TJ.

Reactions: Tbird Clair
OK I dropped the jeep back off at the shop. I ordered new shocks while I was at it (couldn't take the ride and hope the new shocks help with that) and will be sure to remove the drop Pitman arm. Thanks again guys!

Reactions: Chris
Something else, it's possible/likely some yahoo overinflated your tires. Your 35's should have around 24 psi in them around town, 26 psi when the Jeep is fully loaded with gear and/or people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forty and Chris
I'm running my tires at 30 PSI....ill let my shop know to lower them. They also suggested balancing the wheels (haven't had that done in a few off road trips and I knocked off some of the fake beadlock on the wheels). They will also be checking every bushing and putting the stock pitman arm back on. BTW it was a Dana 44 from an 03 TJ so it bolted right up.

It's doubtful the tire shop will lower the pressure at your request, most don't understand you need a lower pressure with larger tires on a Jeep. In fact they may raise the pressure. I have to fight with my local Discount Tire stores on my Jeep tire pressure every time, they want to inflate my 35" tires to 35 psi. Frigging idiots.

Can't you just lower the pressure yourself?

I run mine at 45 psi-————————--when flat towing it. Found it really helps with rolling resistance and ease of steering actually turning with the tow vehicle. Rest of the time I am in the 20 depending on were I am.

Now back to the subject.
The only time I have ever had axle hop was when the rear tires were spinning on my jeeps (big no no) or one of my drag cars also a big no no. Are you sure it's hopping? Could it be something else

How is the 6" of lift achieved? Just springs or springs and coil spacers, or some combination and a body lift?

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
OK guys sorry to take so long to reply. Got the jeep back a few days ago with my problem fixed. Apparently easy enough all that needed to be done was rebalance the tires. Troubleshooting 101: start with the easy things first!!

Also I am running a 6" suspension lift, no spacers. While the jeep was in the air I also swapped my rough country shocks for Fox 2.0 shocks, and an OME steering stabilizer. What a difference in ride quality!

OK guys sorry to take so long to reply. Got the jeep back a few days ago with my problem fixed. Apparently easy enough all that needed to be done was rebalance the tires. Troubleshooting 101: start with the easy things first!!

Also I am running a 6" suspension lift, no spacers. While the jeep was in the air I also swapped my rough country shocks for Fox 2.0 shocks, and an OME steering stabilizer. What a difference in ride quality!

Not surprising. There's a lot of guys out there who have similar issues and often times it's merely due to the wheels and tires not being properly balanced. Glad you got it all sorted out though!

Reactions: StG58 and Serbonze