Jeep "Bug Out" Bag

Bobohunter1776

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have no idea if general discussion is the right place for this thread, but I'm sure someone will yell at me if it's not. I'm working on building a Jeep bag. I hesitate to say bug out bag but I guess that's what it is. I'm just trying to build something where if I ever have to hike out of somewhere or SHTF I can just grab it out of my rig and get moving. Also just something to help simplify my storage in my rig.
What I currently have:
-towel
-headlamp
-jump pack/portable charger
-socks
-extra shoes since 90% of the time I'm in flip flops
-Basic survival kit
-batteries
-basic first aid kit
-space blanket
-sweatshirt
- gallon of water

I'm just wondering if anyone has anything similar in their rig or have any suggestions on what to add. I'm definitely getting a rain poncho or two ASAP. Eventually I'm gonna get a trauma kit with a tourniquet and what not. I've got a quilted blanket as well, but that's currently hiding my air compressor.

20230307_105604.jpg

Reactions: AaronPaul
Few thousand rounds of 5.56... Just kidding (kind of), but definitely a good plan to be prepared. I typically try to pack a change of clothes, a basic tool kit, and basic survival stuff when I am in my side by side but typically am riding close to towns with a group of other machines.

Few thousand rounds of 5.56...
That's how I double the value of my rig.

But yeah I'm also usually with at least one other rig. I'm usually not very close to town though and I'm rural enough that I'd rather not get stranded somewhere stupid. Tool kit is on my list for when I've got extra cash. I'm just so hesitant of keeping stuff in my Jeep when I have the top off. I've got plans for some storage but I'm still trying to figure out the best option.

Reactions: jkosten
That's how I double the value of my rig.

But yeah I'm also usually with at least one other rig. I'm usually not very close to town though and I'm rural enough that I'd rather not get stranded somewhere stupid. Tool kit is on my list for when I've got extra cash. I'm just so hesitant of keeping stuff in my Jeep when I have the top off. I've got plans for some storage but I'm still trying to figure out the best option.

Completely understandable on all accounts. You are in a much different (and better) part of the country from where I spend time off-road. If I were in your position I'd look at making a slide out locking box in the rear.

Completely understandable on all accounts. You are in a much different (and better) part of the country from where I spend time off-road. If I were in your position I'd look at making a slide out locking box in the rear.

For sure. That's my plan currently. I like what my buddy built in his Taco so I might steal his design and just modify it. My issue is I either have to give up seat space or storage space. I'll figure something out. Not planning on doing much wheeling or camping until June so that should give me plenty of time.

Reactions: Shank
What I currently have:
-towel
-headlamp
-jump pack/portable charger
-socks
-extra shoes since 90% of the time I'm in flip flops
-Basic survival kit
-batteries
-basic first aid kit
-space blanket
-sweatshirt
- gallon of water

I take it you're talking personal supplies only, so not spare parts or anything like that.

Here's the personal supplies I keep in my Jeep and most other vehicles,
  1. A few rolled up towels and some rags
  2. A cheap 10'x10' tarp
  3. A wool blanket
  4. Some bottles of water. Multiple small bottles are better than one large bottle. If you have multiple small bottles and one bust, you're out that bottle and only that bottle. You can also hand out individual bottles or dump one if you need the container for something else.
  5. Baby wipes
  6. Some packaged protein bars.
  7. 2 small flashlights
  8. High % alcohol hand sanitizer
  9. A lighter
  10. Some paracord
  11. A physical state road map and compass
I'll throw in spare clothes and shoes as I see needed. I need to add in a basic boo-boo care kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TH99TJ
I take it you're talking personal supplies only, so not spare parts or anything like that.

Here's the personal supplies I keep in my Jeep and most other vehicles,
  1. A few rolled up towels and some rags
  2. A cheap 10'x10' tarp
  3. A wool blanket
  4. Some bottles of water. Multiple small bottles are better than one large bottle. If you have multiple small bottles and one bust, you're out that bottle and only that bottle. You can also hand out individual bottles or dump one if you need the container for something else.
  5. Baby wipes
  6. Some packaged protein bars.
  7. 2 small flashlights
  8. High alcohol % hand sanitizer
  9. A lighter
  10. Some paracord
I'll throw in spare clothes and shoes as I see needed. I need to add in a basic boo-boo care kit.
Those are all things I will be adding to my list as well. And that's a good point with the water. Yeah I've got a pretty basic first aid kit right now. I'll probably get a better one once I've got my wilderness first responder certification and all that stuff done. In my opinion, theres no point in having an extensive one until I know how to use it. I also need to ask some guys on the SAR team I've been training with what they recommend.

Reactions: Good Hope
.357 Magnum revolver and at least a couple hundred rounds of ammo. Or your favorite semi auto pistol with as many magazines as you have.
Make your kit portable so that you can just carry it from one vehicle to another. You could even carry it when you're riding with somebody else.

For when SHTF I have an AK............

.357 Magnum revolver and at least a couple hundred rounds of ammo. Or your favorite semi auto pistol with as many magazines as you have.

That's a different project that I'm also working on... gotta see where the ghost gat stuff goes first. Or invest in a 3D printer.

Reactions: mudmaster
I used to keep some things that always stayed in my last jeep and building back what will constantly be in this one. Well pretty much any of the vehicles I drive have most if not all of this. Here is a short list:

1. Leatherman/Gerber multitool
2. Good flashlight. I may have a cheap headband one too. I include at least a couple of extra batteries to match.
3. Small first aid kit
4. Fixed blade knife
5. Lighter and/or fire steel with a small ziplock of vaseline infused cottonballs.
6. Hatchet
7. E-tool
8. Cordage. Not limited to just paracord but a couple of hanks 25' - 50'
9. Small tarp
10. 2x8 board about 12" - great for bottle or hi-lift jack base
11. Small tool bag, - 4 in 1 screwdriver, crescent wrench, channel locks, vise grips, duct tape, bailing wire, etc
12. 1 or 2 ratchet straps
13. Poncho
14. Tow strap and couple of d-rings
15. Fire extinguisher
16. Leather work gloves

In the jeep I usually stashed most of this under the rear seat. Some of this may be in several small bag collections so it could stay pretty flat and under the seat out of sight. Clothing could come or go depending on the season and activities.

Reactions: inkedrose
I used to keep some things that always stayed in my last jeep and building back what will constantly be in this one. Well pretty much any of the vehicles I drive have most if not all of this. Here is a short list:

1. Leatherman/Gerber multitool
2. Good flashlight. I may have a cheap headband one too. I include at least a couple of extra batteries to match.
3. Small first aid kit
4. Fixed blade knife
5. Lighter and/or fire steel with a small ziplock of vaseline infused cottonballs.
6. Hatchet
7. E-tool
8. Cordage. Not limited to just paracord but a couple of hanks 25' - 50'
9. Small tarp
10. 2x8 board about 12" - great for bottle or hi-lift jack base
11. Small tool bag, - 4 in 1 screwdriver, crescent wrench, channel locks, vise grips, duct tape, bailing wire, etc
12. 1 or 2 ratchet straps
13. Poncho
14. Tow strap and couple of d-rings
15. Fire extinguisher
16. Leather work gloves

In the jeep I usually stashed most of this under the rear seat. Some of this may be in several small bag collections so it could stay pretty flat and under the seat out of sight. Clothing could come or go depending on the season and activities.

Those are all solid. Completely forgot about a fire extinguisher too.

You might need 2 bags.
Self rescue and/or self preservation.
No need to pack a jump box if you're hiking.
That's what I'm leaning towards. For now this is just something temporary until I get it all sorted out and get a bit better long term plan for my Jeep. I've got a big list of gear and upgrades for all of my hobbies this season so I'm trying to prioritize. I always end up getting into the most expensive hobbies out there. It's like cocaine but only slightly less addictive.

No need to pack a jump box if you're hiking.

The jump boxes are getting smaller and even include usb connections. If you at the point of leaving your vehicle, it could be a power source for your communications. Depending on how much space and weight it might be worth having along to recharge your batteries.

Reactions: TH99TJ
Add a couple of heavy duty ziplock bags...I have some 18" x 18"...and I put a couple of Pig Mats, some blue shop towels, and some disposable gloves. I have a plastic jar full of cat litter too. Spill kit. And garbage bags for picking up trash.

Israeli bandages are great for controlling major bleeds. A folding CPR mask is great. I have a little pulsometer too since finding vital signs on folks can be difficult under good circumstances.

Training...CPR class and wilderness first aid.

Radios. That Garmin satellite comm thing.

Recovery Gear.

Water purifier.

A couple of cardboard toilet paper rolls filled with lint and covered in wax. Awesome fire starters.

Toilet paper.

Spare bolts, nuts and zip ties.

And speaking of nuts... don't go too crazy because you'll overload your Jeep.

If I could afford a AED i'd carry one.

-Mac

The jump boxes are getting smaller and even include usb connections. If you at the point of leaving your vehicle, it could be a power source for your communications. Depending on how much space and weight it might be worth having along to recharge your batteries.

A way to get another vehicle started down the road, a way to start a fire etc etc.

Add a couple of heavy duty ziplock bags...I have some 18" x 18"...and I put a couple of Pig Mats, some blue shop towels, and some disposable gloves. I have a plastic jar full of cat litter too. Spill kit. And garbage bags for picking up trash.

Israeli bandages are great for controlling major bleeds. A folding CPR mask is great. I have a little pulsometer too since finding vital signs on folks can be difficult under good circumstances.

Training...CPR class and wilderness first aid.

Radios. That Garmin satellite comm thing.

Recovery Gear.

Water purifier.

A couple of cardboard toilet paper rolls filled with lint and covered in wax. Awesome fire starters.

Toilet paper.

Spare bolts, nuts and zip ties.

And speaking of nuts... don't go too crazy because you'll overload your Jeep.

If I could afford a AED i'd carry one.

-Mac

If I had to guess I'd say you have either a military or first responder backgrounds...

I've got a trauma kit in my hunting gear with an Israeli bandage and tourniquet and all that fun stuff but I'd rather leave that in my pack and get a permanent one for my Jeep.

Garmin inreach is something I need just in general.

I've got some iodine tablets in my little survival kit but definitely need to put my lifestraw in there because iodine is disgusting.

As far as training goes I'm getting my wilderness first responder next fall and I'll probably end up doing an EMT class too.

Reactions: macleanflood