Jeep Camping

Shwane

Backcountry Jeeper
Supporting Member
Is anyone running a dual battery set up on their TJ? I haven't had any battery problems to date but I've been kicking around this idea and was just wondering if anyone has experience with it. If I'm out on the trail, I always have an Optima with me or in brother-in-laws JK just in case. I'm always idling when the winch is in use and we run about 50/50 night and day. Even at night with my rig all lit up the winch doesn't dim the lights at all. Is it worth the added weight for a daily driven TJ with a 117 amp alternator or just stick to bringing one with me on trail runs?

Electronics I have:
Cobra CB radio
2 amps (one 1200 watt and one 500 watt)
9k winch
assorted lights (spots, reverse and rocks)

Reactions: BakoJohn
I've never needed a second battery or jump start in 20 years while wheeling my TJ. That's with a lot of winching the last 15 years. I've even had to winch my Jeep off the trail twice without the engine running when it couldn't be started. Once from the steering box seal blowing out and the other from an aftermarket ignition coil failing. Neither event required me to jump start the Jeep after fixing those two issues.

And none of those items will cause a problem with a battery other than the winch, just use common sense battery management. As in don't use your winch multiple times in a row without giving things a rest between pulls so the alternator can catch up.

I will suggest you lose the faith in Optima batteries, they're no longer nearly the battery they used to be after having been purchased by Johnson Controls. Right after that happened, their manufacturing was moved to Mexico and that, together with a lower quality of lead they started using, their quality took a big nose dive. Personally, I have had three Optima batteries fail prematurely, two 3478-DT Yellow Tops and one D34M Blue Top. I'll never buy another Optima battery. :)

Reactions: LeePTI
Check out my post on a NOCO for $100. It will be your auxiliary battery and very portable.

https://wranglertjforum.com/index.php?posts/71630

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas
That's really a good way to go. Those tiny lithium-ion batteries are amazing, they pack a nearly unbelievable amount of power in a really tiny space. I'd prefer one of those to carrying a second heavy battery.

Reactions: LeePTI
So I decided to go with a kodiak dual battery setup. It uses 2 Odyssey PC1200's and I don't have to relocate my a/c lines. I am also switching to the higher amp Durango alternator. I still have the little jump box, but my jeeping style has changed. I usually have "House" lights running in the roof top tent and some form of perimeter lighting set up when we don't have the dual fuel lantern burning. I also have a winch and on board air to power, so this was a no brainer. Once I finish my expedition trailer, I can move them over to lighten up the ole girl.

Now, to get them to call me back next week.

Kodiak dual battery kit

In this day and age of internet browsing and sales I really hate it when vendors don't post prices and how to order info. Why (unless my application is something complicated or unusual) would I want to wait to talk to you, if you offer a kit give me the price..... Kodiak looks like some pretty nice stuff, but they need some work in their marketing department.... website is copyrighted 2005, have they not updated it since then?......

So I decided to go with a kodiak dual battery setup. It uses 2 Odyssey PC1200's and I don't have to relocate my a/c lines. I am also switching to the higher amp Durango alternator. I still have the little jump box, but my jeeping style has changed. I usually have "House" lights running in the roof top tent and some form of perimeter lighting set up when we don't have the dual fuel lantern burning. I also have a winch and on board air to power, so this was a no brainer. Once I finish my expedition trailer, I can move them over to lighten up the ole girl.

Kodiak dual battery kit
Fantastic choice! That’s the same kit I am looking at, pleaseeeee share some photos of the install. I’m close to pulling the trigger on it :D.

Kodiak dual battery kit
I'd be interested to see the wiring schematic for this kit, it says three position switch for on, off and jump but it only shows one continuous duty solenoid. Unless it uses a different relay for the charging circuit. That's probably what it does.

I dunno, maybe it's the safari mindset that leads some to believe they need dual batteries but I personally don't see the need for a dual battery setup. In 22 years of wheeling TJs, I've never drained my battery offroad, not even after winching my TJ off the trail several time without the engine running when the engine couldn't be started. Once when the ignition coil died, another when the steering box blew its seal.

And as much as I've spent on my Jeeps over the past 30 years, I certainly would have installed dual batteries if I had ever seen a real or legitimate need.

And rather than go to the considerable amount of expense and trouble, wouldn't it just make more sense to carry one of those great little portable 1000 amp lithium ion battery jump start batteries and just throw it in the back? They're lighter, cost less, and they won't surprise you by being dead like some dual battery setups can. A dead battery can wipe out a good fully charged battery in short order if the dual battery system isn't working correctly or if you accidentally left it in the dual/parallel mode.

To me, this makes more sense... much lighter, no trouble, and costs a whole lot less $$$.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
I have two batteries in my work van but they're just wired in parallel at the inverter. It's just to keep my laptop and printer on during the day, there's no high amp connection to the second battery.

I agree, With Jerry; however, when camping I use a relatively portable 35 AH sealed lead acid battery for tunes, recharging devices and tent lights (Its too small for the portable fridge, however)... will likely get a 100AH Battery when this li'l battery gives up (its about 5 years old). Got less than $100 into it including the (modified) inverter. This battery can also, probably, be recharged from the vehicle, although it has not been necessary yet. I have trickle charged it with small solar panels but chasing the sunlight is normally too much effort (I like shady campsites).

I have been avoiding power/jump packs for camping because they don't normally list their Amp Hours (AH).

Enjoy!

I dunno, maybe it's the safari mindset that leads some to believe they need dual batteries but I personally don't see the need for a dual battery setup. First, I've never drained my battery offroad, not even after winching my TJ off the trail several time without the engine running when the engine couldn't be started. Once when the ignition coil died, another when the steering box blew its seal.

And as much as I've spent on my Jeeps over the past 30 years, I certainly would have installed dual batteries if I had ever seen a real or legitimate need.

And rather than go to the considerable amount of expense and trouble, wouldn't it just make more sense to carry one of those great little portable 1000 amp lithium ion battery jump start batteries and just throw it in the back? They're lighter, cost less, and they won't surprise you by being dead like some dual battery setups can. A dead battery can wipe out a good fully charged battery in short order if the dual battery system isn't working correctly or if you accidentally left it in the dual/parallel mode.

To me, this makes more sense... much lighter, no trouble, and costs a whole lot less $$$.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I carry one of those as well. I sometimes camp very deep in the woods where if you don't have a purpose built vehicle then you won't make it in and stay for days at a time. I like the idea of having 2 batteries. I also run a power inverter to charge gadgets while I'm out there so I like having a dedicated battery used for those. And it's cheaper than a goal zero solar set up.

Then there's the little jump pack for the time when I will forget to switch my batteries and they go into "dueling battery" mode. And I'm sure it will happen. At some point. Because I do things like that on occasion.

I guess I could just carry another battery with me and only use it for those things, but I like the convenience of charging it on the go.

I carry one of those as well. I sometimes camp very deep in the woods where if you don't have a purpose built vehicle then you won't make it in and stay for days at a time.
I dunno why your battery wouldn't last unless you overuse the battery without ever starting the engine. Don't forget you have a very nice battery charger built-in... just start your engine once in a while. As I said above... 22 years of wheeling TJs in the boondocks with never a dead battery. Simple common sense and basic battery management plus occasionally starting the engine is all it takes to prevent a dead battery. And carry one of those little lithium batteries for a little added insurance. :)

How am I supposed to be all overlandy with only one battery?

I already have one strike against me because I drive a ***gasp*** jeep and not a Toyota TRD or SUV of some sort.

On the other hand, It is quite entertaining slowly crawling by said SUV's and land cruisers stuck knee deep in sand and muck, wrestling with winch lines and max traxs, to my campsite.

Reactions: FireJeep