Jeep cranks but doesn't start

Universal Hippy

I just acquired a 97 Jeep Wrangler 5 speed with a crank no start issue. There is no spark and the fuel pump is not engaging. The cel is not coming on. My ODB is not establishing a link and no manual codes are showing when I try the on/off method. The CPS is good. The ASD and Fuel relay fuses are good. The battery is brand new. Any input I could get on getting it fixed would be awesome, thanks have a great day!

What do you mean by "crank no start issue"? Does the starter spin the engine?

X2, this is information that would help.

Don't forget battery terminals. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone replace their battery (or say that it's "good"), only to find out the culprit was the battery terminals. Those need to be replaced from time-to-time too.

X2, this is information that would help.

Don't forget battery terminals. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone replace their battery (or say that it's "good"), only to find out the culprit was the battery terminals. Those need to be replaced from time-to-time too.
I did check the battety terminals and actually replaced the battery with a brand new one just to eliminate any possibility of that issue to begin with. Thanks though for bringing that up.

I must have missed that... oops.

Well, if there's no spark and fuel an your OBDII scanner can't even connect, it seems like maybe your PCM could have crapped out on you. I want to say there is a method to test it in the FSM.

Yeah I was thinking that it was either that or the ecm..didn't quite know how to test those. I was told that the ecm could be tested at a dealership. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Yeah I was thinking that it was either that or the ecm..didn't quite know how to test those. I was told that the ecm could be tested at a dealership. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

On the 2004 and up, I believe the ECM and PCM are the same thing (one unit). Don't quote me on that, but I want to say they changed it on the later models.

The dealership can indeed test it, yes. I just thought at one point I had read a procedure that someone had posted about testing the PCM. Because from the sounds of things, you're getting nothing at all, not even a connection via the OBDII reader, which seems to suggest something bigger (like the PCM). It wouldn't surprise me either, I've heard plenty of stories about them failing.

I just acquired a 97 Jeep Wrangler 5 speed with a crank no start issue. There is no spark and the fuel pump is not engaging. The cel is not coming on. My ODB is not establishing a link and no manual codes are showing when I try the on/off method. The CPS is good. The ASD and Fuel relay fuses are good. The battery is brand new. Any input I could get on getting it fixed would be awesome, thanks have a great day!

Did you ever resolve your issue. I have a 2001 Wrangler with the same issue